Thread: new convert

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

new convert

Hi, I am a unbuntu & linux newbie. I got sick of all the xp crashes/viruses etc. and have just wiped my hard drive and installed ubuntu. Its strange using a non-windows OS, I have use windows exclusively up until now. It feels almost like a drug addict going on cold turkey - I know I had a bad habit and it drove me crazy, but its hard to change...

I may have to dual boot for a while...

Anyway, this is just a hello, I have a few other questions about linux use, but I will post them a different thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: new convert

Welcome aboard, I hope you enjoy linux. Don't be afraid to ask questions, however stupid they may seem to you. Although it's always a good idea to search the forums first, chances are you question may already have been answered.
    Also, there's the guide which is full of good advice.

Edit: I just noticed you're planning to dual boot, but have wiped Windows. You'll need to start over, install Win first, then install linux. Depending on your hard disk size, I would suggest using 1/4 as a primary partition for XP, 1/2 as a shared secondary partition for data and linux will install in the remaining 1/4 and will be able to read and write to the shared partition if it's FAT32 but read only if it's ntfs.
    Last edited by xmastree; November 18th, 2005 at 12:53 PM.
    Some people say I'm a man of few words, but the fact is that most people talk too much without actually saying anything.

Beans

give it a month and you'll love it, if you hate terminal it's possible to do most things gui, but terminal it'll allow you to do things with or without any desktop

Beans
    Distro

xmastree: thanks for the tips, I will do a clean install of xp and then reinstall ubuntu.

teaker1s: i am willing to give the terminal a go, I did some shell scripts at uni a while back and remember thinking "this is really useful!". i since forgotten how to use it, but I will give it a go.

Beans

Welcome to Ubuntuland.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by nandasunu
    Hi
    Hi, welcome to the Ubuntu Forums.

Beans
    Distro

thanks for the welcomes. I've just reinstalled my setup to dual boot xp & ubuntu. I've been spending the last few hours tweaking and playing with ubuntu, I don't think that I'll need to boot into windows much, this is a lot more fun.

now, if only I could get my wireless to work....

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by nandasunu
    thanks for the welcomes. I've just reinstalled my setup to dual boot xp & ubuntu. I've been spending the last few hours tweaking and playing with ubuntu, I don't think that I'll need to boot into windows much, this is a lot more fun.
    I said that also. I have 6 computers and Ive slowly converted all but 2. Youll ditch it. Unless you play games.
    now, if only I could get my wireless to work....
    Just search for "wireless" then widdle it down from there.