Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] 5 drives, 4 connections...

Beans

[SOLVED] 5 drives, 4 connections...

Hey guys,

I've got an old computer I'm turning into a small webserver. I've got a bit of a problem though. Being the age that it is, it only supports 4 IDE connections, and there are 4 hard drives inside it. So if I want to install ubuntu I need to disconnect one of the harddrives so that I can hook up the CD drive. This means that while installing ubuntu I can't mount any of the root folders onto the disconnected harddrive (I want /var on one drive, /home on another, /usr on the third and everything else on the fourth drive).

Can anyone help me out with this problem?

Many thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: 5 drives, 4 connections...

If I were in your shoes, I might remove the drive you want to put /home on, go about your Ubuntu installation and let /home be in your root "/" partition, and then afterwards move /home over to the other drive once you are done. I believe there is even a psychocats tutorial on moving the /home partition, and it's not usually hard to do at all. Basically you just move /home over and update your /etc/fstab to include the new /home partition mount point. If you want more details, let me know, but that's the general idea.

Beans

Thanks! yeah, I do get what you're saying. I'm just stuck to the terminal though (server edition), what terminal command do I use to move the /home folder to a different partition, and what exactly should I be editing in /etc/fstab?

Beans

OK, let's say your home partition is sdb1, and you've booted into your main Ubuntu install which currently has the /home directory. You could do:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/sdb1
    sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1
    sudo cp -ax /home/* /media/sdb1/.
    sudo mv /home /home.backup
    sudo mkdir /home
    sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.backup
    gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
    And add these lines in your fstab:
    Code:
    #/dev/sdb1:
    UUID=77677cb5-6e56-4936-a373-80c15e /home ext3 nodev,nosuid 0 2
    And of course replace the UUID above with the UUID of sdb1, which you can find with:
    Code:
    sudo blkid -c /dev/null
    Once you confirm that everything works OK, you can get rid of the /home.backup directory if you want to. Let me know how it goes.
    Last edited by caljohnsmith; October 28th, 2008 at 11:05 PM.

Beans

Great I'll be trying this in a little bit. On another related note, when using the ubuntu installer partitioner, and I choose to mount /var/www and /var/lib/mysql on different disks/partitions, will everything else in /var go onto the disk mounted in / (root)?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cowzor View Post
    Great I'll be trying this in a little bit. On another related note, when using the ubuntu installer partitioner, and I choose to mount /var/www and /var/lib/mysql on different disks/partitions, will everything else in /var go onto the disk mounted in / (root)?
    I would assume so, but I've never broken up my main install into that many other partitions, so I can't say for sure. Since you're doing a new install, it certainly won't hurt to just try it and see if it works OK.

Beans

to be honest, neither have I, but I'm still messing around before I'm going to do a serious install anyway

Beans

What you showed me earlier didn't give any errors, but my actual user folder is still in /home.backup and not in /home. Additionally, after rebooting to see if that solved anything (no idea why I thought that), lost+found shows up in /home
    Last edited by Cowzor; October 28th, 2008 at 10:20 PM. Reason: extra information

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cowzor View Post
    What you showed me earlier didn't give any errors, but my actual user folder is still in /home.backup and not in /home. Additionally, after rebooting to see if that solved anything (no idea why I thought that), lost+found shows up in /home
    OK, you'll have see where something went wrong; how about:
    Code:
    mount
    And does that show your home partition is mounted on /home? If it does, and the /home folder is empty, then something must have gone wrong with copying the files over. If the home partition is not mounted on /home, then there's probably something wrong with the /etc/fstab entry for mounting the home partition. What is the partition by the way, in terms of sdX? If you can give more info I can probably help you get through all the steps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by caljohnsmith View Post
    OK, you'll have see where something went wrong; how about:
    Code:
    mount
    And does that show your home partition is mounted on /home? If it does, and the /home folder is empty, then something must have gone wrong with copying the files over. If the home partition is not mounted on /home, then there's probably something wrong with the /etc/fstab entry for mounting the home partition. What is the partition by the way, in terms of sdX? If you can give more info I can probably help you get through all the steps.
    it shows /home is on the right partition. The drive is sdd, partition is sdd1 and there are no other partitions on the drive, if that makes a difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast