Thread: VNC to Ubuntu 10.10 workstation.

Beans

VNC to Ubuntu 10.10 workstation.

Is there a way to have the remote desktop capabilities of Ubuntu 10.10 start at boot time?

As it is I have to log in first and start the service.

Sorry if this is a newbie question.

Thanks.

-R

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: VNC to Ubuntu 10.10 workstation.

I use VNC over SSH to remotely connect from my study to the living room PC (HTPC). HTPC only needs to be on. No one needs to at the HTPC to OK it or to start a program.

Is that what you are wanting to do?

Are you wanting a startup script that automatically connects a remote computer each boot? using VNC?
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H - AMD Phenom II x3 720 - 8 GB RAM - 2009 - My first PC from parts!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeland View Post
    I use VNC over SSH to remotely connect from my study to the living room PC (HTPC). HTPC only needs to be on. No one needs to at the HTPC to OK it or to start a program.

Is that what you are wanting to do?

Are you wanting a startup script that automatically connects a remote computer each boot? using VNC?
    I want the VNC service to start at boot-up. Other wise I have to hook up the monitor/keyboard/mouse each time and log in and start the the VNC server.

Rather it runs automatically after I login, I just want to be able to VNC in before logging in.

Hope that explains...

-R

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Staying with my HTPC example. The PC auto logs in a user. That user ID allows remote access. So once turned on I can log in to it. The TV is the monitor, it doesn't have to be on. It's keyboard and mouse don't do anything.

You want to run VNC without first logging in a user?
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H - AMD Phenom II x3 720 - 8 GB RAM - 2009 - My first PC from parts!