Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOWTO: Moving/Copying Windows XP to another Partition

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Move/Copy Windows XP to another Partition

Great tutorial - thanks a million!

However, I just had one note re: Step #6. In my case, "chkdsk /f /r" did not resize my data to the actual partition size. However, "ntfsresize" did the trick without any issues.

1) "ntfsresize -i /dev/sda3*" detected both the correct size of the copied data and partition size, and also indicated how much data I would gain from the operation.
    2) "ntfsresize -n /dev/sda3*" did a test run which completed succesfully.
    3) "ntsfresize /dev/sda3*" worked and indicated that a force chkdsk would be run the next time Windows was booted.
    I neither forced the resize nor specified size (-s) as neither option seemed necessary. Went like a dream, and 2 reboots later, my moved XP partition is at the proper size.

* "/dev/sda3" is my XP partition - change this to your partition id.
    Last edited by yzord; October 25th, 2010 at 06:40 PM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Moving/Copying Windows XP to another Partition

Hello,

I have a related issue. I think this will work but never tried it first time I encountered this issue, but If I have a Windows XP Installation on an HP 8450w EliteBook (for instance) that has a bad boot sector which prevents the system from booting into Windows and I have a completely identical machine that has a fully operational HDD, it boots into Windows XP with out error. Should I simply be able to pull both HDDs out then copy the data from bad HDD onto good HDD using a couple USB adapters and any OS; probably a good idea to use Linux because it will not recognize any files as protected system files,. Wouldn't I have then done the equivalent of say a Heart transplant in an otherwise healthy patient.

For the life of me I cannot think of why this would not work. I look forward to any friendly enlightenment that you may have.

Thank you,

Nathan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi Nathan,

If I were to do this, I would use dd or something like partimage to copy the partitions, not files.

HTH
    Craig

Beans

Hi,

Great tutorial !
    I'm currently trying this procedure with Windows 7. Sadly there isn't anymore boot.ini to config Windows 7 bootloader but a separated partition containing hive's file.

I thing I have to use windows command bcdboot or bcdedit or even both. But I don't know how :s. Does any of you have ever tried this with Windows 7 ? I may use some help ^^.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12