Thread: Help with wireless networking

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Red face Help with wireless networking

Hi all,

I just installed Hardy Heron (64 bit) on my new Gateway T1625 laptop and all is well except for my inability to get the wireless network working. (I have used Linux for some basic stuff before, so I'm not a total n00b, but the networking bit is new to me.)

I've gone through some of the documentation and determined:
    a) Ubuntu does recognize my network card (RTL8101E), and
    b) the r8169 driver is installed

However, when I go to System > Administration > Network, the wireless network doesn't show up as an option.

Here's the output to the lshw and iwconfig commands:
    andrew@andrew-laptop:~$ lshw -C network
    WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
    *-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: RTL8101E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
    vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 01
    serial: 00:03:25:50:0e:ea
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.2LK ip=192.168.1.114 latency=0 module=r8169 multicast=yes
    andrew@andrew-laptop:~$ iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.
    I know wireless networking has been covered in a lot of other threads, but the info is fragmented, and I haven't found the solution to my particular problem yet.

Beans

Re: Help with wireless networking

By the looks of it that prefix looks to be a realtek card, can you give us more information?
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Just a heads up, wireless + 64bit won't always work correctly. I had a 64bit Hardy install in which I installed the 64bit Windows drivers for my wireless card using ndiswrapper. This toasted the machine (mainly because I didn't test before adding the ndiswrapper module to /etc/modules).

Anyways, I grabbed a 32bit *buntu copy and loaded the 32bit Windows driver with ndiswrapper and everything worked perfectly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Titan8990 View Post
    Just a heads up, wireless + 64bit won't always work correctly. I had a 64bit Hardy install in which I installed the 64bit Windows drivers for my wireless card using ndiswrapper. This toasted the machine (mainly because I didn't test before adding the ndiswrapper module to /etc/modules).

Anyways, I grabbed a 32bit *buntu copy and loaded the 32bit Windows driver with ndiswrapper and everything worked perfectly.
    Indeed, try that too.
    You will have to re format again but it will probably work.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It is indeed a Realtek card. I don't have the specs with me right now, so I'll try and upload them later.

I should also mention that I was skimming around Realtek's website earlier and they claim to have a driver with 64-bit support:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads/...&GetDown=false

(Scroll down to the Unix/Linux section and find the following description)
    LINUX driver for kernel 2.6.X and 2.4.X (Support x86 and x64)

I don't know if anyone has experience working with this driver, but the instructions in the readme file don't seem compatible with *buntu 8.04 (though it does mention RedHat,Fedora, and SUSE by name)

If that doesn't work, it looks like I'll have to try the 32-bit version.