Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] failed to mount NTFS drives

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: failed to mount NTFS drives

So if I want to mount all of my ntfs drives when I boot ubuntu , I just add lines for all of them in the fstab ?

For example if I want to mount drive Backup ( which is sda7 i think ) the required line will be :

/dev/sda7 /media/Backup ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
    Btw, do I need to create a mount point for device sda7 too ?

And do I need to force mount when mounting first time ?

Sorry for the confusion -> There are no drive named Nash( don't ask me why I said there was )
    Last edited by Louis de Broglie; September 10th, 2008 at 12:55 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Louis de Broglie View Post
    So if I want to mount all of my ntfs drives when I boot ubuntu , I just add lines for all of them in the fstab ?

For example if I want to mount drive Nash ( which is sda7 i think ) the required line will be :

Btw, do I need to create a mount point for device sda7 too ?

And do I need to force mount when mounting first time ?
    Each partition requires a unique mount point. So yes, you do need to create 'Nash'. No, you don't need to force mount partitions. Force mount can only be applied on partitions that did not have a 'clean shutdown' status.
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans
    Distro

All of my NTFS partitions got that status.

Beans

All of my NTFS partitions got that status.
    You could force mount it with the given commands above (The one you successfully used). That would solve the problem. Just follow the steps we did on your first posts.
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans
    Distro

OK. It works. But now none of the mounted drives unmounts from gui.

So i will have to use terminal from now on to mount or, unmount ?

Beans

OK. It works. But now none of the mounted drives unmounts from gui.

So i will have to use terminal from now on to mount or, unmount ?
    No, the drives will automatically mount on Ubuntu startup. That only happens if you add the partition on the fstab file.

Beans
    Distro

Ok. Everything seems ok. thanks for your support and time.

Beans

Ok. Everything seems ok. thanks for your support and time.
    Ok. Glad to have helped. If problem arises in your Ubuntu usage, you can always come back, the forum's got plenty of helping hand to help you sort your problem. Goodluck and Go Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: [SOLVED] failed to mount NTFS drives

No, you don't need to force mount partitions. Force mount can only be applied on partitions that did not have a 'clean shutdown' status.
    A small additional remark: you should never "permanently" use force mount. You should use force mount only temporarily, in an emergency, for example to retrieve the data before reformatting the drive. There is a reason why Ubuntu won't automount "unclean" volumes: it is because you risk corrupting the file system further. You risk major data loss.

For this reason, you'd better not maintain ntfs volumes if you do not have MS Windows. Linux cannot fully check and repair them. Therefore, use ntfs only if you also have ready access to MS Windows. Otherwise, reformat them in ext3 or another Linux file system.

(That said, I *have* an ntfs volume. However, it is a Lacie Multimedia disk and the data are stored elsewhere (in duplicate). If anything goes wrong, I will just reformat the drive in ntfs to "repair" the file system and copy the data back).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12