Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made a huge booboo........

Beans

Installed something, that changed my Ubuntu to Kubuntu....

I have been playing around with my ubuntu, and somehow,I have added something that has now madeitkubuntu.and I cant get it back to how it was.Problem is, I'm not sure what it was I added that turned it into Kubuntu.

Can somebody help me return my program back toubuntu?

Thank you.

John.
    Last edited by jakewc2; September 10th, 2008 at 08:05 AM.

Beans

Re: Made a huge booboo........

When you start GDM. There is an option to choose your "session" Choose Gnome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

sounds like u installed the k desktop environment (kde) which is a different graphical user interface (GUI) than GNOME, which ships with ubuntu. see if u can use synaptic or whatever ur package manager, i guess now its kynpatic, to install GNOME.
    Homegrown's alright with me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by u-slayer View Post
    When you start GDM. There is an option to choose your "session" Choose Gnome.
    yeah try that first before u go installin/uninstallin anything

Beans

Oh wow,thank you so much for all you messages.

I only installed this yesterday, by GDM what do you mean? When I start the pc, I only get two options, one is to start windows the other to start Ubuntu, when I clcik on that, it goes through the process, and starts Kubuntu.

Sorry to be so dumb.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

It is advised to use a descriptive topic title; that means use a topic title that gives some clue about the content in the thread itself...

A generic topic title like "noob here" or "need help" does not help at all. As you may have notices, just about everyone posting in here has some kind of a problem or issue or question

Beans

Have changed the title, still not sure its good enough sorry about that. Was in a bit of a panic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

GDM is your login screen. Stands for GNOME display manager.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

do u recall installin anything "just to see what it was?" nothin wrong with that at all, good way to learn, but u may have inadvertently installed KDE over GNOME.

also, r u sure that u d/led the correct iso image? is it possible that u downloaded Kubuntu when u thought u were gettin ubuntu?

what do u see when u get to the login screen? is there a dropbox where u can choose ur session? if so, look for GDM. if u don't see it, it's likely that u somehow swapped out GNOME for KDE.

Beans

Hi, I thought that might be what you meant, I went in logged off, then the Kubuntu log in screan came up, I chose Gnome, but it still has Kubuntu come up. Teach me to stop meddling.

What else do I need to do?

Is Kubuntu better than Ubuntu? Does it make a difference? Apart from what it looks like?

Also, I installed Thunderbird yesterday, it worked when it was Ubuntu, not it wont work, gives an error

Could not launch application

ailed to execute child process "/home/jakewc2/.mozilla/firefox/jlyjhf4i.default/bookmarks.html" (Permission denied)

How do get that back as well?

Thank you for you help.

p.s. I did try to change the thread title, but it looks like as I logged out, I cant change it now, sorry about that.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast