Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Install Lexmark All-In-Ones

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Talking How To: Install Lexmark All-In-Ones

Recently Lexmark published drivers for many of its all-in-one printer/scanner/faxes. Here's how to get them working on Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10. I've tested this on both Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 using printer models X5650 and X4650. I have tested it both on 32-bit and 64-bit machines. This tutorial should work for the following series of printers: X3600 Series, X4600 Series, X4900 Series, X5070 Series, X5600 Series, X6600 Series, X7600 Series, Z2400 Series.

1. Download and Extract the Lexmark Driver Installation Script

Here is the driver file for the printers listed above:
    http://www.downloaddelivery.com/down....deb.sh.tar.gz

You might have a similar model not listed above. Find your driver here:
    http://support.lexmark.com/index?pag...erlocale=EN_US

After the file has completed downloading, extract the script to your home folder. You can do this by double-clicking the file. Then click the "Extract" button near the top of the new window. On the left select your home folder (it will be your user name). Then click the "Extract" button at the bottom. Then click "Quit" at the prompt.

2. Install the Drivers and Printer Using "Sudo"

If you've tried running the installation script you have realized that it asks you for your root password, and it will not accept your user's password (by default Ubuntu has no root password). You will need to use "sudo" to run the script to make this work (for more information on sudo, visit https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo).

To do so go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal. In the terminal type:

Code:
    sudo ./lexmark-08z-series-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh
    Follow the instructions in the prompt, making sure not to plug in the printer until instructed. Most likely you will end up with two printers installed, but thats ok. During the installation you will install the printer and Ubuntu will also detect it. Most likely the one Ubuntu detected and installed will work. Once the installation has finished, you can close the terminal window.

3. Setup Wireless (applicable models only)

If you have a wireless Lexmark All-In-One, you have a few more things to do to get it working without plugging in the USB cable. First, you need to find the IP address. You can do this by printing the network settings page from the printer as follows (source). Press the setup button on your printer (its a physical actual button on the printer itself, not in Ubuntu; it might look like a wrench). Press the right or left arrow until you see the display say "Network Setup". Press "OK". Press "OK" where it says "Print Setup Page". Press "OK" again.

Now that you have the IP address of your printer, let's add it (thanks to Ubuntu forums user relapse for this part). In Ubuntu go to System > Administration > Printing. Right-click the printer that was added from the previous steps and select "Duplicate". Give the duplicate a new name, something like "Lexmark Wireless" or whatever you want.

Right-click this new wireless printer and select "Properties". Enter the IP address from the printout you got earlier in the "Device URI:" box. For example, if your printer's IP address is 123.45.67 enter "socket://123.45.67" without quotes. Click "OK" when finished.

If you've followed all the instructions on this tutorial you should now have two printers installed of the same version. One is for when you plug it in with the USB; the other is for wireless. At this time, as far as a I know, scanning over the wireless is not available until Lexmark updates the drivers. If you know otherwise, please let me know.

4. Print a Test Page; Test Scanning

You should now test to see if your printer works. Go to System > Administration > Printing. Right-click the printer you wish to test. Click the "Print Test Page" button. You may have two printers installed. If one does not print, try the other installed printer. One of them should work.

Scanning should work automatically now. Go to Applications > Graphics > Simple Scan. Try to scan something, and it should show up.

Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit Issue

If you are running Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit, you may need libstdc++5. Follow the instructions here: http://www.digitalenigma.net/directo...gid=2009111000 This does not seem to be an issue on Ubuntu 10.10.

------------------------

Complete Removal and Reversal. If you want to completely reverse the above procedures and remove everything installed do the following:
    1. Delete the downloaded archive of the drivers.
    2. Delete the driver installation script (in your home folder according to the above instructions).
    3. Delete the printer(s) by going to System > Administration > Printing, right-click the installed printer and select Delete.
    4. Remove the printer drivers by going to Applications > Accessories > Terminal. Enter the following into the Terminal:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -r lexmark-08z-series-driver
    Last edited by wbar2; November 23rd, 2010 at 10:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How To: Install Lexmark All-In-Ones

Thank you! This worked perfectly for my 4900 on Ubuntu.

Beans

Question Re: How To: Install Lexmark All-In-Ones

I have a Lexmark x5650 and am having a problem getting it to work still. First, I've been using Linux for exactly 6 days, I actually installed it for my parents after their WinXP machine got a Trojan so bad I couldn't root it out with HiJackThis or ComboFix! This was their 20th+ virus that they "had no idea" where it came from, so I said, "it's time to try Linux." I've read the beginner manual, I managed to get Karmic 9.10 set up no problem, even got the beta of Wine up and running with my dad's favorite poker games, Full Tilt and Poker Stars and also Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Thunderbird, almost everything they had in Windows, so far they are happy.

My last problem is this printer, the x5650. I stumble across this thread when I had Karmic and tried it, hoping just maybe it would work, but it didn't. However, I have now upgraded to Lucid as of last night and still no luck.

Here is what happened. When I installed Karmic, the printer was detected but would not function, it would never print. I tried the steps here, knowing they might not work, and big surprise, they didn't. What happened was it would get to the point of the install where it asked to connect the USB cable, but it would never detect it and I'd close it out, try again, same problem. So I "removed" the printer from printer options thinking that would reset everything and re-detect the printer, but the printer was never detected again.

I then installed Lucid last night, thinking the printer would at least be detected now. Nope, it never was. I then followed these steps and ended up getting stuck at the "connect USB" cable part again. I have tried unplugging the printers power and USB and reconnecting and every combination. Nothing. So now my printer isn't auto detected and it doesn't notice when I plug it in during the driver installation.

On a whim, scrambling for answers last night, I saw something about CUPS and installed it via synaptic. It not only did nothing for me, but now I don't even have the option to search for or manually add a printer (which wasn't working anyway). So I then uninstalled CUPS, but have the same problem. Admittedly I had little idea what CUPS was other than some kind of print server software, but I'm always willing to try something crazy and see if it works.

So that is where I am. Any ideas how I can get this back on track? I feel like I need to reset all my printing options to default, but I don't know how. The other option running through my head is to just reformat and install Lucid from scratch, but damn, I just got everything else working and just reinstalled all their pictures and music, I'd hate to do that.

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Nvm, I just went ahead and suffered the pain of a reformat, drivers worked on the first try after that. Excellent, my parents will be very happy now!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksheep01 View Post
    Nvm, I just went ahead and suffered the pain of a reformat, drivers worked on the first try after that. Excellent, my parents will be very happy now!
    Awesome. I'm sorry for not responding sooner and that you had to reformat to get it working, but I'm glad that you got it going.

Beans

No problem on not getting to my post. The fresh install was probably a better idea anyway, I had a lot of loose files, old .debs and entries I didn't know how to remove after tinkering for the first few days and your advice here and the drivers link worked like a charm so thanks again for the original post!

My next problem is going to be the scanning, for some reason the scanner was not auto detected and was asking me to choose a device, which didn't work. I'm burning out after re-formating/re-installing everything tonight, but if you or anyone have any tips on why that scanner might not be detected and how to fix it, I'd appreciate it. Who knows though, sometimes with Ubuntu I've noticed I make a change and nothing happens right away, then it takes effect several minutes later, maybe the hard drive is on the way out or something, who knows, but scanner could be up and working tomorrow magically lol.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksheep01 View Post
    No problem on not getting to my post. The fresh install was probably a better idea anyway, I had a lot of loose files, old .debs and entries I didn't know how to remove after tinkering for the first few days and your advice here and the drivers link worked like a charm so thanks again for the original post!

My next problem is going to be the scanning, for some reason the scanner was not auto detected and was asking me to choose a device, which didn't work. I'm burning out after re-formating/re-installing everything tonight, but if you or anyone have any tips on why that scanner might not be detected and how to fix it, I'd appreciate it. Who knows though, sometimes with Ubuntu I've noticed I make a change and nothing happens right away, then it takes effect several minutes later, maybe the hard drive is on the way out or something, who knows, but scanner could be up and working tomorrow magically lol.
    I'm not sure why you can't get scanning working. Do you have a webcam integrated? I have had problems on a laptop with an integrated webcam conflicting with the scanner. Maybe you should open a new thread in the General Help section?

Beans

No webcam, but good news, as I suspected, it is magically working after booting up the PC this afternoon. I did absolutely nothing to get it to appear, I simply tried scanning with simple scan again and it worked like a charm lol.

Thanks for reading through my posts, again, I'm uncertain if I am the only one experiencing this, but it does seem that when I make a change/update a program, nothing changes at first, then minutes/hours later or after next reboot, it is working.

Beans

I also installed the lexmark drivers for my x4975. everything is working great with the usb cable plugged in. I would like to configure the printer so that it connects to my wireless network. there is no option for that on the printer menu (confirmed by lexmark). is there a way to access the configuration so that I could configure SSID and WEP?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by smellems View Post
    I also installed the lexmark drivers for my x4975. everything is working great with the usb cable plugged in. I would like to configure the printer so that it connects to my wireless network. there is no option for that on the printer menu (confirmed by lexmark). is there a way to access the configuration so that I could configure SSID and WEP?
    I've never setup a wireless printer with Ubuntu. But here's what I think the process would be:

Go to System - Administration - Printing. Click Add. Ubuntu *should* detect it automatically and you should be able to add it right there. You've already installed the driver, so you should be able to select the x4975 driver when you add it.

So, in effect, you will have two printers installed. One will be the printer when it is hooked up by USB. The other will be for when the printer is used wirelessly. Let us know what happens.

EDIT: I have added wireless instructions above. Please test these on your specific model and let me know if it works.
    Last edited by wbar2; May 4th, 2010 at 10:28 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast