Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Satanic Edition gets banned from DistroWatch

Beans

Ubuntu Satanic Edition gets banned from DistroWatch

Saw this on their website and found it interesting:
    Ever wondered why Ubuntu Satanic Edition is not on Distrowatch, the popular guide to the world of Linux? We contacted Ladislav Bodnar, the maintainer of the site, and this was his reply:

There is no way I am going to add this distro to DistroWatch. Two reasons:

“1. I don’t consider the name “Satanic edition” as an appropriate name for a Linux distribution. Believe me, there are many very sensitive people visiting DistroWatch who would be offended by the name of your distro. There is a line between what is and what isn’t an appropriate name for a software product and I believe that you’ve crossed that line.

2. Ubuntu is a registered trademark of Canonical. You need to show me an official permission from Canonical that grants you the use of the word Ubuntu in your product’s name.

Regards,
    Ladislav”

When we’d got up off the floor, we send the following response:

“Woah!

What about Muslim and Christian editions?! It seems that your worries about trademark infringement and offensive material don’t stop you from including those.

I thought Distrowatch was supost to be a list of Linux distributions. Surely it your purpose is to reflect the world of Linux and not dictate it.”

So, it seems you won’t be seeing your favourite distro on “distro”watch. At least until hell freezes over.
    Source - http://ubuntusatanic.org/news/banned-from-distrowatch/

What do you folks make of this? I don't use USE, but are people really that easily offended? Do you think the word "Satanic" has the power to strike fear into the conservative mind and scare people away at its mere utterance?

Seems pretty bloody stupid to me. I wouldn't really say it's a reflection of the Linux community at all but just the mindset of some people in general.
    Last edited by Sand & Mercury; September 9th, 2008 at 10:59 AM.
    La Dânse Macabre.

~ sandandmercury.net | deviantART profile ~

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Satanic Edition gets banned from DistroWatch

"1 teacup, hold the storm please"

FWIW, I think that Distrowatch is right on the money on both counts here.

1) Historically and culturally, both Satanism, and that which it represents, is considered at the least in very bad taste, and generally fairly objectional. Linux is spread mainly though word of mouth advertising, hence people tend to recommend it to others - there isn't the single big corporation with billions to spend on marketing (until relatively recently) - hence efforts are made to cater for market segments / user needs. There isn't a need for linux to deliberately go around offending large swathes of the international community.

2) Ubuntu is trademarked, and not by you. Other Ubuntu derivatives (Ultimate Edition) etc had to pull the use of the term 'Ubuntu' at Canonicals request. I'm not aware if the folks behind the Christian, Women's and Muslim's respective editions have the blessing of Canonical to use the 'Ubuntu' brand.

Also, from poking around the site in your link, what's distinguishing this edition from a generic Ubuntu install, other than some artwork?
    AMD Athlon 3000 @2.0Ghz / MSI K8T Neo K8T800 / 2 GB Corsair DDR RAM / Nvidia GeForce 6600GT (256MB) / Samsung 226BW @ 1600x1050 / 120GB/320GB PATA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Ridiculous.. I know a lot of people who could also be "offended" by Christian and Muslim Ubuntu. Every day you read in the newspapers about people being "offended" by this and that. People in todays society is being "offended" to easy.

I'm not a Satanist myself but I do not found it "offending", here is by the way some of the "The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth" (with risk of "offending" someone)

# Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved
    # Do not harm little children
    # Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sand & Mercury View Post
    Saw this on their website and found it interesting:

Source - http://ubuntusatanic.org/news/banned-from-distrowatch/

What do you folks make of this? I don't use USE, but are people really that easily offended? Do you think the word "Satanic" has the power to strike fear into the conservative mind and scare people away at its mere utterance?

Seems pretty bloody stupid to me. I wouldn't really say it's a reflection of the Linux community at all but just the mindset of some people in general.
    Yeah, well I'm not going to visit them anymore.

I hate this kind of male cow feces.

Beans

Satanism's a recognised religion, no different from any other... I think "Satanic Edition" isn't really the most apt name because it seems like it's named so more just to turn heads than offer anything really specifically for Satanists; its differences from vanilla Ubuntu seem purely cosmetic as far as I see, admittedly.

Mark Shuttleworth's said in interviews that he knows about Ubuntu SE and has absolutely no problem with its existence. (Source)

The concept of Satanism is a little bit of a taboo for very archaic reasons. It's only highly conservative people that will quake with fear at its mention; Satanism is a completely legit religion and it doesn't involve slaughter of goats, sexual abuse of children, etc like most people seem to believe. Basically its message seems to be to worship yourself. But that's rather beside the point.
    Last edited by Sand & Mercury; September 9th, 2008 at 12:10 PM.
    La Dânse Macabre.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Doesn't surprise me at all. It seems that lately it's becoming more and more difficult to even discuss certain Religions without someone taking offence. And I'm talking about the Internet, not in the street. The so called unfettered Internet. I suppose it would be interesting to know which country Distrowatch's servers are hosted in, and from what country most of their revenue comes, via support or advertising.

EDIT: This is about a Linux distro, but religion has been mentioned. OMGPP here we come.
    Last edited by fiddledd; September 9th, 2008 at 12:05 PM.
    Desktop: Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 Core 2 Duo 6300 1 GB Dual channel DDR 2 Nvidia 7300 GS
    Laptop: Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pi 2515 Intel T5450 Core 2 Duo 2 GB Dual Channel DDR2 Ram 160gb HDD (Vista/Linux Mint 5)
    [Missing OMGPP]

Beans

Reason 1 given by this idiot is something that shouldn't be his perogative to decide.
    He has no authority to set himself up as a gatekeeper to what names distro's may use.

Reason 2 is also moot. It is clearly not his obligation to enforce canonical's copyright unless canonical pursues a takedown notice or legal action.

This really pisses me off. What we have here is an individual inject their biases into what ought to be an informational database.

Distrowatch is clearly a betrayal of the principals of GNU and Linux.

Beans

Scruffynerf, I agree with you on 2. But not on 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffynerf View Post
    1) Historically and culturally, both Satanism, and that which it represents, is considered at the least in very bad taste, and generally fairly objectional.
    Being "in bad taste" or "objectional" is subjective and no good reason to drop a distro. As far as I can see the satanic edition doesn't suggest anything illegal. On the other hand I'm for dropping editions like "ubuntu phedophile edition" or "ubuntu heroin users edition" which suggest illegal activities.

Linux is spread mainly though word of mouth advertising, hence people tend to recommend it to others
    The users of the satanic edition also have mouths.

hence efforts are made to cater for market segments / user needs.
    Maybe there is a market for the satanic edition.

There isn't a need for linux to deliberately go around offending large swathes of the international community.
    Who are you to dictate which communities are fit for linux adoption. It's possible that satanic community adopt linux as well. It's an unwarranted assumption (and wrong in my view) to say that the satanic edition will tarnish the whole linux name in general. This is equivalent to subject satanic books to cencorship because they will give bad names to all books in general.

By the way, I hate "satanism" but it's not illegal and I find the idea of censoring them disgusting.

Bottom line is, they should be let in DW once they drop "ubuntu" from their name or get the permission to use it.
    Last edited by Vivaldi Gloria; September 9th, 2008 at 12:13 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Sand & Mercury View Post
    I think "Satanic Edition" isn't really the most apt name because it seems like it's named so more just to turn heads than offer anything really specifically for Satanists; its differences from vanilla Ubuntu seem purely cosmetic as far as I see, admittedly.
    Well... see... that's really the point. I don't think actual Satanists would really get anything out of having their own 'edition' of Ubuntu seen as their philosophy seems to be follow your own lead/urges rather than identifying themselves as a member of a group and adhering to it's values. So I'd say that whoever made this 'distro' was probably more likely to be a kid who is particularly good at GIMP than a community of Satanists. But I'm no Satanist and I may be wrong.
    Last edited by powerpleb; September 9th, 2008 at 12:15 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by powerpleb View Post
    Well... see... that's really the point. I don't think actual Satanists would really get anything out of having their own 'edition' of Ubuntu seen as their philosophy seems to be follow your own lead/urges rather than identifying themselves as a member of a group. So I'd say that whoever made this 'distro' was probably more likely to be a kid who is particularly good at GIMP than a community of Satanists. But I'm no Satanist and I may be wrong.
    I'm no Satanist either but still, do you think that justifies its exclusion?
    La Dânse Macabre.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast