Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: external hdd for backup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: external hdd for backup

Bad advice throughout, except for unutbu. Why would you advice to use any file system, as long as it is not a linux file system?

Please use ext4. You must only know that in Linux, you do not automatically have permissions to write anywhere (nor has a computer virus).

You first need to change ownerships of the folders where you want to be able to write as a user. To change ownership, you must act as administrator.

An easy graphical way to change ownership is to use nautilus (file management) with root permissions:
    - Press Alt+F2
    - type "gksudo nautilus" and press the enter key
    - A file manager window (nautilus) appears. Navigate to the file/folder where you want to change permissions. Change permissions with Right-click - Properties, Permissions tab. Change "owner" from "root" to your own user name to grant yourself full rights.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have never needed that with my NTFS external. My backups run three times a day , everyday , with my normal user without any issues. And the upside is in case of disaster I have immediate access to my files on another pc that might be running Windoze.
    For that reason I have never seen the need to make my external EXT4.
    I5 3ghz , 16gig RAM, Nvidia Geforce GT610 1gig

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Any file system should regularly be checked for errors and consistencies. ntfs can only be checked on a Windows machine (there is ntfsfix, but this is not a true replacement for Windows checking tools). Thus, as long as you also have windows in the house, or ready access to a Windows machine, there is no fundamental objection to use ntfs.

As long as you mainly use linux, and use your data drives with linux, the use of a native linux file system is the superior option. You have a robust, modern, well performing file system that integrates perfectly in the file system. You can arrange permissions and ownerships per directory/file, you can create backups that preserve all file attributes of the originals. Admittedly, ownerships and file permissions are mostly of importance in a multi-user environment. They are less important with your personal user data (docs, pictures, ...), but remain important even in a single user environment if you also want to backup user configuration data, e.g. an email account.

vfat should never be recommended for hard drives. It is a primitive file system that is very fragile (i.e. easily corrupted) and highly unreliable for large volumes. The main asset of vfat is wide compatibility, which is why it is the file system of preference for small mobile volumes such as USB sticks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_Mazal View Post
    And the upside is in case of disaster I have immediate access to my files on another pc that might be running Windoze.
    If you put the open source driver Ext2 on your Windows machine it will be able to access ext partitions. This includes ext4 and ext3, since they are backwards compatible with ext2 albeit without journaling.

Using ext4 on your backup drive will help to protect you from FS corruption caused by a power problem or someone unplugging the cable before the data has been written out.

Having said all that, I made the exact same mistake on my own external backup drive.

Chris.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use NTFS for my music partition.
    It's not a great file system, but I haven't had any actual problems with it so far.
    Support from linux has been flawless.

Being able to access your backups from a windows machine may not be a bad thing either (as someone already mentioned)
    blog ~~~ last.fm ~~~ twitter ~~~ digg
    Just so you know, everywhere else on the internet, I am known as mynameistux
    Its just a bunch of 1's and 0's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

wow, this thread is older than I thought
    blog ~~~ last.fm ~~~ twitter ~~~ digg
    Just so you know, everywhere else on the internet, I am known as mynameistux
    Its just a bunch of 1's and 0's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Indeed, you noticed. It was not only bad advice, but also old advice I was bashing at. You see how these things are being picked up again, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12