Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto Share internet connection

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Re: Howto Share internet connection

does this pass DHCP through? in my setup this is going to be essential.
    DHCP server (10.251.81.254 i believe, not positive) --> only one cat5 rout available -> (eth0) linux system for serving some audio/timekeeping purposes -> (eth1) linux system for serving some audio/timekeeping purposes -> windows XP machine that MUST get its IP from 10.251.81.254, and no i dont mean spoofed. the windows systems on this network in question are all on a domain, run by a remote admin, so no configs can be changed on those, so everything must pass through...
    i would check myself but i am not at that setup right now, its the weekend.. ive been trying to mockup this setup but so far unsuccessfull because one of the nics i have here at home is causing problems, picking up another today.

Beans

This will not pass through DHCP. Since you have a DHCP server i suggest you buy a switch.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by anaoum
    This will not pass through DHCP. Since you have a DHCP server i suggest you buy a switch.
    there are dozens of switches on that net, but the building will not shell out money just to give this one system net access...
    perhaps i could make it work O.K. with a static ip.. but i must ask, will this block any standard traffic? like if the PC is transferring files via windows shares through the linux box bridge, to a server named lets say //SWIFT ... would that get interrupted? thats the biggest thing... aswell as domain logins... allthough i dont know if that computer is set up to either.. id have to check it out. long story short that box needs to have complete and uninterrupted access to the network... the software that the secretary runs on that system i cant imagine binds itself to any ports for inbound connections, as very very VERY few ports are forwarded inside this place, only things like VNC to 8 computers, and vidphone/vidphone remote admin. so i dont think that will cause a problem.

i'll try it anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Using Firehol makes configurating iptables so much easier.

Beans

How can I set this internet connection sharring automaticly (I am asking about the first post in this topic)? I am using Xubuntu 5.10

Beans

This was hugely helpful for me thanks!

I bought a cheap Fry's 1 day special GQ PC for 99.00 LOL.. Update the Ram to 392 megs for 30 bux. Bought an Airlink 101 AWLH4030 Wireless Super G PCI card for get this $17.99 (again onsale). Ubuntu detects it immidiately on install. SHWEET! So this GQ pc is plugged in behind my entertainment center. I VNC into it and have the sound card plugged into the RCA input on my stereo. I use StreamTuner to listen to ShoutCasts through the Stereo and record them to Mp3 with Streamripper. Create playlists in XMMS and basically have a jukebox I VNC into from the laptop at the coffee table or Kitchen to play tunes. I plugged in my 250 Gig Maxtor loaded with MP3s and add to the collection recording Shoutcasts.. SWEET! I plan to order a touch screen monitor add on and build a touchscreen interface at the entertainment center to make playlists/downloads there. Gotta find a nice Mp3 jukebox heh.. Ontop of all that I plug in my Xbox into the built in NIC on the 99.00 GQ PC and followed your instructions to route it to the wireless Netgear gateway. I have a verizon FiOS Fiber ISP connect 15mbs down 2mbs up. The damn Xbox wireless nic was 99.00 in itself. Needless to say THIS IS A SHWEET setup. Again thanks for the help!

Beans

I managed to get it working without the "ipmasq" package. I understand that "dnsmasq" would enable me to act as a nameserver proxy, but what does ipmasq do (that -j MASQUERADE doesn't do) ?

Other than that, excelent job... worked like a dream!
    Last edited by george.aprozeanu; March 24th, 2006 at 07:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Hello everyone!

I got the iBurst up and running, with the pppoeconf command

So, I setup Linux as a PDC, DHCP, caching DNS server, and want it to route internet traffic for the LAN

My setup is as follows:

iBurst Modem (pppoe connection - get's IP from ISP - 196.2.108.xxx)
    |
    |
    |
    eth0 (192.168.0.2)
    ||
    Linux box
    ||
    eth2 (192.168.10.1 - running DHCP)
    |
    |
    |
    24 port hub
    | | | | |
    XP PC 1 XP PC 2 XP PC 3 etc etc

The XP PC's can ping 192.168.10.1 & 192.168.0.1, but not 196.2.108.xxx, nor for example google.com. I tried running
    "iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE", but that doesn't seem todo anyting. In fact, I followed the Howto Share internet connection

Can somone please assit me with this?
    Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

And if you want this to "stick" after a reboot, edit /etc/sysctl.conf and add the following line:

net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
    For some reason it doesn't work for me.
    I use ethernet connection with 2 eth cards and a gateway. I did it right after fresh reinstall, because I messed something up last time and couldn't fix it. *
    I did it exactly as described in first post, and the connection is shared...
    ... but it's gone as soon as I restart. I have to type these commands from root each time, and it got old quickly. What could possibly be wrong ? How to nail it down ?

* I had to reinstall, because I used "ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1" instead of "ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.1". As a result, I destroyed my own connection instead of sharing it. I tried to fix it using both GUI from system settings and some old Debian manual. Now it's fixed, because I reinstalled Kubuntu... But how do I fix such humiliating mistake in the future ?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Hello,

The following will explain how to share your Internet connection:

<snip>

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
    anaoum -

Great information. Worked perfectly on my network, which is no standard setup.

I use a usb cable modem, and after several failed attempts, I have never bothered to drill down to get it working properly in linux. After reading this thread, I tossed a Dapper FL5 Live CD into the machine which connects to the internet (and still runs win98 so I can use proxy+ share internet - no longer!), and after running through these steps, and modprobing the proper modules for usbnet, I was off. (ten minutes)

Fantastic. Brilliant. You have no idea how helpful this is. For this family network it is literally a paradigm shift. Being no networking guru (and having little interest in learning the sqeaky details), I have been proxy serving internet to all of my machines for years, and it's been a real wicked pain.

Wow. Thanks.

-rcmiv

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast