Thread: installing a website in XAMP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question installing a website in XAMP

Hi, I was wondering if someone could give me a good tutorial, or give me step-by-step instructions I need to install a site to my localhost using XAMP?

I've been asked to modify my bosses site, which is pure PHP, but I've only modified php pages here and there in control panels like wordpress, and I've gotten real confuse on how to isntall this site in XAMP.

First, I know you should throw the site directory into htdocs, but whenever I tried to verify any of the work I get 404, and 500 errors depending which file I try to open up.

Please help.

I would prefer someone to IM me through AIM: coden4fun

so I can send them files over, etc...

Thanks!

Beans

Re: installing a website in XAMP

Quote Originally Posted by coden4fun View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if someone could give me a good tutorial, or give me step-by-step instructions I need to install a site to my localhost using XAMP?
    Put then into the directory that Apache looks in for sites, usually htdocs for XAMPP.

I've been asked to modify my bosses site, which is pure PHP, but I've only modified php pages here and there in control panels like wordpress, and I've gotten real confuse on how to isntall this site in XAMP.
    You don't "install" sites. What are you asking? Does the site require database configurations or something?

First, I know you should throw the site directory into htdocs, but whenever I tried to verify any of the work I get 404, and 500 errors depending which file I try to open up.
    What is the structure of the site? give a short tree representation of the important bits (index, and what directory is it is in).

Please help.

I would prefer someone to IM me through AIM: coden4fun

so I can send them files over, etc...
    Is your boss alright with distributing these files?

Also, if you want to impress the boss, don't volunteer for something you don't know how to do

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi, it's configuring the database to the site I suppose.

It's in the directory now, and I can view the index, however, I think since I'm getting a bunch of php scripts on the page the database isn't configured correctly.

Beans

Hi, it's configuring the database to the site I suppose.

It's in the directory now, and I can view the index, however, I think since I'm getting a bunch of php scripts on the page the database isn't configured correctly.
    Then recreate the database stucture you need and make sure the authentication is correct. We can't help with that. You have all the information and resources you need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Talking Re: installing a website in XAMP

I got it up and going. Just a minor adjustment directory issue.

It was giving me that 404 error or 500 error because I had placed the site directory in the wrong place.

I'm sure I'll be up all night, listening to Metallica, modding PHP site, which also means I'm sure I'll run into another problem, which I'll make Ubuntuforum is the first place I stop.

Thanks!

So now I'm modifying it like crazy!

Beans

I'm sure I'll be up all night, listening to Metallica, modding PHP site, which also means I'm sure I'll run into another problem, which I'll make Ubuntuforum is the first place I stop.
    Why don't you listen to some metal instead?

So now I'm modifying it like crazy!
    I hope you have a backup of the original...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well, now I'm listening to Kaizers Orchestra, and yes we have backup I can download in a flash if I mess up.

Beans

Well, now I'm listening to Kaizers Orchestra, and yes we have backup I can download in a flash if I mess up.
    Don't use Flash, it is evil.