Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dualboot XP/Ubuntu - Ubuntu very slow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Dualboot XP/Ubuntu - Ubuntu very slow

Quote Originally Posted by Xiong Chiamiov View Post
    Wubi does not run Ubuntu as a virtual machine. It allows you to boot up Ubuntu by itself; the difference is that the files themselves are stored on the Windows partition, and you can uninstall it through add/remove in Windows.
    Sorry, i ddnt know that!! Thank you!
    Laptop: Toshiba L505 S6959
    Processor: Intel Core2Duo T6500 2.1GHz
    RAM: 4GB DDR2
    Graphics: Intel 4500 MHD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Xiong Chiamiov View Post
    Wubi does not run Ubuntu as a virtual machine. It allows you to boot up Ubuntu by itself; the difference is that the files themselves are stored on the Windows partition, and you can uninstall it through add/remove in Windows.

To the OP:
    Do you have Compiz turned on?
    It is installed in the synaptics manager. But i don't know wether or not it's on. how do i check that?

Greetz Gianni

Beans

A good example about the slowness, when i scroll down in a thread, my music stops playing until it's loaded. It does that when I start a program, click on a thread in the forum, etc.

Greetz Gianni

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

right, instead of quibbling over partitions and whether ubuntu is installed via wubi, lets try to get a solution.

Go to System > Preferences > Appearance

In Appearance Preferences select the Visual Effects tab.

Then, select "none"
    Gosh Darn Police Line You Better Not Cross!
    Is it the cop, or am I the one that's really dangerous?

upgrade to vista!!

Beans

It would also be helpful to know what kind of video card (if any) you have.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans

I am dualbooting. I have experience with virtual machines, but even when ubuntu is in a virtual machine inside windows, it works much better and faster than this way

Greetz Gianni
    Last edited by OnsMa_Gianni; September 8th, 2008 at 08:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The compiz and all that shouldn't matter. Ubuntu should fly on that box. He's got 1G of ram. I'd be more inclined to think he's running under windows

Beans

Because your Ubuntu is installed on your Windows partition -- NTFS (?) and not a native Linux partition, BTW -- it is subject to fragmentation issues associated with Windows partitions in general. So defragmenting your Windows partition could help.

But I myself would go the route of reinstalling Ubuntu on a native Linux partition, if for no other reason than the fact that Ubuntu only does a fair job of dealing with NTFS files. There are a few bugs that show up from time to time, even when you have everything set up the best that they can be set up.

And then there's always the possibility that Windows has trashed one of your Ubuntu files. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that Windows trashed a file that it had ready access to.

I would start with a fresh install on a native partition, see where that gets you, and address the possibility of a hardware issue later, if you're still having problems.
    Last edited by PierreDeKat; September 8th, 2008 at 11:13 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12