Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: iraf, x11iraf and ds9 in ubuntu 32 bits

Beans

Smile Re: HOWTO: iraf, x11iraf and ds9 in ubuntu 32 bits

Many many many thanks to favilac!

IRAF installed in a couple of minutes (maybe less...!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO: iraf, x11iraf and ds9 in ubuntu 32 bits

Okay, 'wget http://hea-www.harvard.edu/saord/dow...nux.5.6.tar.gz' returns an error 404 message. After some searching, ds9 is now v 6.0, so just replace the '5.6' with '6.0' and it works.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

It looks like the latest release of Ubuntu (10.04, Lucid Lynx) does not contain gfortran-4.2 anymore , so favilac's install scripts fail. Does anyone have any tweaks that might work?

Thanks,
    Dipankar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dmaitra View Post
    It looks like the latest release of Ubuntu (10.04, Lucid Lynx) does not contain gfortran-4.2 anymore , so favilac's install scripts fail. Does anyone have any tweaks that might work?

Thanks,
    Dipankar
    Try installing gfortran before running the script;
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gfortran
    Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Actually I already have gfortran installed. However the default (that gets installed via sudo aptitude install gfortran) is now gfortran-4.4. The iraf install script is specifically looking for v4.2, and there is no gfortran-4.2 anymore for Ubuntu 10.04.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi all together!
    I just updated to Ubuntu 10.04. To get iraf working I copied all files from the .iso to a folder where I can write an edited the install-ubuntu.sh. There I exchanged 4.2 by 4.4. for the gfortran package. ECL seems to work fine.
    Now there are some problems with pyraf:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/local/bin/pyraf", line 62, in <module>
    from pyraf import doCmdline, _use_ipython_shell, iraf, __version__
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pyraf/__init__.py", line 29, in <module>
    import irafimport
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pyraf/irafimport.py", line 102, in <module>
    iraf = _originalImport('iraf', globals(), locals(), [])
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pyraf/iraf.py", line 8, in <module>
    from iraffunctions import *
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pyraf/irafimport.py", line 34, in _irafImport
    return _originalImport(name, globals, locals, fromlist)
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pyraf/iraffunctions.py", line 53, in <module>
    import numpy, sscanf, minmatch, subproc, wutil
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pyraf/irafimport.py", line 34, in _irafImport
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/numpy/__init__.py", line 130, in <module>
    import add_newdocs
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/numpy/add_newdocs.py", line 9, in <module>
    from lib import add_newdoc
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/numpy/lib/__init__.py", line 4, in <module>
    from type_check import *
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/numpy/lib/type_check.py", line 8, in <module>
    import numpy.core.numeric as _nx
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/numpy/core/__init__.py", line 6, in <module>
    import umath
    TypeError: _irafImport() takes at most 4 arguments (5 given)
    Error in sys.excepthook:
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apport_python_hook.py", line 48, in apport_excepthook
    if not enabled():
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apport_python_hook.py", line 21, in enabled
    import re
    TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable

Original exception was:
    File "/usr/local/bin/pyraf", line 62, in <module>
    from pyraf import doCmdline, _use_ipython_shell, iraf, __version__
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pyraf/__init__.py", line 29, in <module>
    import irafimport
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pyraf/irafimport.py", line 102, in <module>
    iraf = _originalImport('iraf', globals(), locals(), [])
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pyraf/iraf.py", line 8, in <module>
    from iraffunctions import *
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pyraf/iraffunctions.py", line 53, in <module>
    import numpy, sscanf, minmatch, subproc, wutil
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/numpy/__init__.py", line 130, in <module>
    import add_newdocs
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/numpy/add_newdocs.py", line 9, in <module>
    from lib import add_newdoc
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/numpy/lib/__init__.py", line 4, in <module>
    from type_check import *
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/numpy/lib/type_check.py", line 8, in <module>
    import numpy.core.numeric as _nx
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/numpy/core/__init__.py", line 6, in <module>
    import umath
    TypeError: _irafImport() takes at most 4 arguments (5 given)
    >>>

Any ideas?

Hi Everybody.

I haven't had the time to update the scripts to make it work with the new Ubuntu release. However:

1.- gfortran. The requirement in the script for version 4.2 it's because Xvista. If you don't use or need Xvista, edit the install-ubuntu.sh file and delete the gfortran-4.2 in the DEPS field. That's all.

2.- Pyraf. This is case of a mismatch of versions. The pyraf included in the installer is the last one that works in Ubuntu 8.04 and Debian Lenny. The newest pyraf works in Ubuntu 10.04 but it doesn't in 8.04. So ignore the errors and install the newest version from STSCI.

When will an updated version of the installer will be ready? Whenever of this happens first:
    a) IRAF 2.1 5 is ready.
    b) Ubuntu 10.04.1 is ready.
    c) Debian Squeeze is ready.

I hope to have a unified installer by then (debian/ubuntu i386/amd64).

Any more questions, you can send it to my mail (it's in the README file!).

Beans

Hi everybody,

I installed IRAF and DS9 without any troubles in Karmic Koala, then I upgrade to Lucid Lynx (both on 32 bits machine). Everything is ok but IMEXAMINE: no cursor blinking on DS9 display, almost no interaction with the graphics display.
    Has anyone met the same problem? I've just seen something similar in iraf.net but I didn't find it very useful.

Beans

I managed the IMEXAMINE trouble with a simple mkiraf from the IRAF user but now I've another problem with my HP F4280 all-in-one Deskjet printer...

When I use SPLOT or IMPLOT and then I try to make some hardcopies with :.snap some strange message appears (see snapshot http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4505727/screen ) and nothing is printed even if hplip notify me that a job has been started and completed...

I found that any job was a 0K files

it seems that SGIDSPATCH is ok and that the printer is ok with other software...

Please, can somebody help me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I first installed iraf a long time (5.10 era, I think) ago and recently (10.04) installed it on my new 64-bit machine, both times using this page as a guide -

http://geco.phys.columbia.edu/~rubab...p_installation

and faced almost no problem. However, it seems to have been written for absolute beginners and has some broken links which you'll need to work out for yourself.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast