Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Connect to a Microsoft PPTP VPN

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: HOWTO: Connect to a Microsoft PPTP VPN

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeWill View Post
    I got an interesting issue, I add my VPN to the list, I click on it, put in my login information, hit enter.... and the window goes away and I get nothing, no error message, no network connection, nothing.

This kind of sucks, works fine on windows.
    Hey, when you put in your creds and hit enter, you should see some activity on your network manager tray icon, where your nm-applet shows your network status. If you do not get any popups telling you that the connection failed, then it should have succeeded and you should be connected, and you should have a lock on your network manager tray icon (in x/ubuntu).
    Last edited by Hypocritus; December 5th, 2008 at 05:02 AM. Reason: correct typo

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi All

The new company I work for insists on using a VPN but I insist on using my personal laptop and having the ability to connect from home. I've been messing around with this for a few days now. On Friday I was able to connect and use the VPN but today I was not. I was thinking I had changed nothing between but then I realized I changed how I connect to the internet, I bought a wireless router. I connected my laptop via the CAT5 cable and all of a sudden the VPN worked again. I have tried the following in my "messing around":
    1. While connected via wireless to the VPN, connecting to the internet - doesn't work.
    2. While connected via CAT5 to the VPN, connecting to the internet - Works and is fast enough for me to believe its not going through the VPN.
    3. While connected via wireless to the VPN, connecting to the shares on the remote network - Doesn't work.
    4. While connected via CAT% to the VPN, connecting to the share on the remote network - Works
    5. While connected via wireless, creating a new VPN connection - All the same problems persist (I set up the connection originally while on CAT5 so figured it could some how have an impact).

Since I can't connect to the internet while connected to the VPN I don't think it's a router issue, but I could be wrong. Either way, for those having problems it gives you something to think about and some tests to do to figure out exactly where the problem lies. For me, it would be ideal to connect via wireless but I can live without.

Hope that helps,

Update: I can connect my work laptop running windows to the VPN on wireless but cannot connect my personal laptop running Ubuntu on wirless, but I can on the wired connection. This seems very odd to me, I don't know why the network connection would play a role in this.
    Last edited by High Camp; February 24th, 2009 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Update
    SL
    CKO - amorphous_projects

Beans

Re: This didn't work for me

[QUOTE][QUOTE=Buenaventura Durruti;651230]I couldn't pass installation

$ sudo apt-get install pptpconfig
    Reading package lists... Done

the pptpconfig seems to be old in ubuntu:

"On distributions that support NetworkManager, pptpconfig is deprecated in favour of the PPTP Plugin for Network Manager. On Ubuntu and derivatives the package name is network-manager-pptp."

http://quozl.netrek.org/pptp/pptpcon...tpconfig.phtml
    Last edited by digao45; April 15th, 2009 at 10:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It will connect with windows VPN?
    Yes it will. Here is how to install and configure it:

You need to install 2 packages:
    network-manager-pptp
    pptp-linux
    If you do the first, it will install the second as a dependency.

Open Network Configuration (System, Preferences, Network Configuration).
    Highlight your VPN connection, hit Edit.

At IPv4 Settings Tab: choose method Automatic (VPN).

At VPN Tab:
    1 - input the IP address of the target computer.
    2 - input your user name. Leave all else blank, unless you are tunneling to a domain, then enter the domain name where indicated.
    3 - hit Advanced button.

At Authentication:
    1 - UNcheck PAP (because PAP means to allow unsecured passage - this is the source of "no shared shared secrets")
    2 - Check CHAP, MSCHAP and MSCHAPv2.

At Security and Compression:
    1 - Check Use Point-to-point encryption (MPPE)
    2 - Select 128-bit (most secure).
    3 - Check Allow stateful encryption.

At Echo: check Allow PPP echo packets.
    Leave all else blank. Hit OK, OK to save and get out.

Note: Your password is requested on VPN startup. I did not try to add it to the keyring.

Once the vpn is open, you can remote desktop over it by entering the nat address of the machine on the other side.
    To browse, now the browse network gui may work, you may need to manually enter the (for example) 10.0.0.5 (or whatever the natted addresses look like) in the top and click reload a few times.
    or if you saved it as a bookmark, select it and then click reload a few times.

You may need to enter gvfs-mount smb://url example: gvfs-mount smb://10.0.0.5, although, I found clicking reload a few times above
    seems to work well.
    Last edited by mgmiller; April 17th, 2009 at 04:30 PM.
    Using Ubuntu since Warty Warthog (4.10)
    32 bit 5.04>5.10>6.06>6.10>7.04>7.10>8.04>8.10>9.04>9.10
    64 bit 9.10 upgraded to 10.04>10.10>11.04>11.10>12.04>14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I've tried a number of suggestions listed here, the only way I've been able to successfully connect to a Microsoft VPN (in 8.10) is via kvpnc.

That's not entirely true...I can connect without it, but I have the same routing issues listed above (can't disable using the default gateway on remote network).

The kvpnc interface gives you the option to keep your existing route and send all traffic within a user-defined IP range through ppp0, while all other traffic traverses your local connection.

Beans

Hello.............

I have switch from xp to ubuntu.

As vpn account I use the hotspotvpn.com

I have download the pptp manager and i have add the following settings:

Gataway: es.hotspotvpn.com
    Authentication: MSCHAP2
    Use point to pointe encryption : 128 bit
    Stratefull connection: yes
    all the other options unchecked. SOmetimes i check send ppp echo packets.

I get always a timed out error. See what the log says: what does it mean?
    I have the 9.04 with all updates installed,
    I tried various combinations with no use,

pr 21 22:08:18 eleftherios-laptop pppd[4880]: Plugin /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.5//nm-pptp-pppd-plugin.so loaded.
    Apr 21 22:08:18 eleftherios-laptop pppd[4880]: pppd 2.4.5 started by root, uid 0
    Apr 21 22:08:18 eleftherios-laptop pppd[4880]: Using interface ppp7
    Apr 21 22:08:18 eleftherios-laptop pppd[4880]: Connect: ppp7 <--> /dev/pts/8
    Apr 21 22:08:26 eleftherios-laptop pppd[4880]: CHAP authentication succeeded

Beans

I got this same timeout problem. Occurs every 2min approximately. Seems to be a bug:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6133370

Ubuntu 9.04, 64-bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

How do you perform all steps from the command line? I ask because I am currently out of the office and won't be back for another week or so. I do, however, have SSH access to the Linux machine which I use to VPN to another campus. I've tried X forwarding to use the GUI, but it fails.

Beans

Sorry for being slow to get this, this thread does not appear to tell me how-to yet. using HH 8.04. I connect to a VPN with no trouble, such that even VirtualBox winxp can browse to the IP address of the server 192.168.1.2. The VPN routing config won't light up the "apply" button in network manager unless there is a slash and number: /24 or something. I have no idea what number might be appropriate. Next is how do you browse the files on the server? I expected to enter 192.168.2.1 in nautilus and see the server files. But nope, it says it can't handle this. In windows it is proceeded by 2 slashes \\, but // doesn't work either.

At the moment I will continue to use VirtualBox and Windows XP reluctantly to do this file access.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by trspencer View Post
    The kvpnc interface gives you the option to keep your existing route and send all traffic within a user-defined IP range through ppp0, while all other traffic traverses your local connection.
    Has anyone made any progress on this issue under Gnome? I need to keep my local IP and local access for everything else. Are there any managers that allow this? It would appear that "Network Manager" has an option, but it doesn't seem to work -- all traffic is still sent through the connection.

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast