Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Connect to a Microsoft PPTP VPN

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Connect to a Microsoft PPTP VPN

Quote Originally Posted by Crick View Post
    But do not do the "route replace default" one later unless you want to kill access to your internet locally (at least I think that's what did it).
    Sure you did not have to add "route replace default". That was just an example. I was too tired to explain how to route, and just added a small example.

So to get the thing running, first I had to do the sudo pon tunnel debug etc thing, and then type

sudo pon tunnel_name debug dump logfd 2 nodetach
    (wait until it had finished doing its stuff)
    sudo /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/tunnel_name
    ping 192.168.30.5 (to see if it worked)
    Actually the files in ip-up.d folder should not be named exactly as the tunnel name. And they shuld not be runned manually. When pptp tunel starts, it should be runned automatically. Just ensure it is executable and have correct permissions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Mine works!
    I installed all of the network manager plug-ins and all of the knetwork-manager packages. I use the standard Ubuntu (Gnome) window manager. I use some of the kde stuff in other places so you may need all of the regular kde dependencies. I'm connected to our watchguard firewall right now. Some of the things I have installed that may help (or not):
    • dhcdbd
    • dhcp3-client
    • ifplugd
    • ifupdown
    • iproute
    • kde
    • kdenetwork
    • kdnssd
    • knetworkconf
    • knetworkmanager
    • kppp
    • laptop-net
    • netbase
    • netgo
    • net-tools
    • network-manager
    • network-manager-gnome
    • network-manager-openvpn
    • network-manager-pptp
    • network-manager-vpnc
    • networkstatus
    • wireshark (will help capture data for diagnosis)
    • wlassistant
    • wpasupplicant (just for your wireless)
    • Plus any smb (Samba) packages you may need

I'm sure there's more than you need listed, however, these are the things I installed along the way to get it to work. The last couple of things I installed, that worked for my setup, was the plugins for network manager and KNetworkManager. I ran KNetworkManager and everything came together.
    I also tried Kvpnc and it would connect, but I couldn't talk to anything on the other network. It may work better once the above mentioned plugins are installed.
    When/If I get some time, I'll uninstall some things to narrow it down to what's really needed.

Beans

!!!!!!!!@*(*(@ Maybe if I could get the buggy thing to work, I would have?!

If it had worked properly, it would have been GREAT. But even though I could get the network connection "configured", and able to at least get it to look like it was doing something, it would not work, no matter how many options I tried, which post I listened to, and how much I looked through syslog etc.
    Sorry, didn't mean to come across as nasty.

It's less than "friendly" at the moment, and I'm doing my best to improve it in Ubuntu while the upstream author is missing, and development upstream is slow (or effort being spent in other directions, e.g. OLPC/wireless).

Connections that appear and can't be deleted can be removed from gconf. Ultimately I'm trying to get new packages into a state where you can't add bad connections, and this is a bug I don't see myself so its hard to diagnose.

At the end of it, all NM-PPTP does is call the command line PPTP client with options on the command line, instead of from a peers file. If you can get the options that work for you in the peers file, you can probably get it to go from NM.

In the event of failure, lots of useful information goes to syslog, and more goes there if you enable debug in the properties dialog. Not obvious to new users, of course, but it exists.

I've got lots of people raising a bug on the package saying "error 15, can't connect". It's the standard PPTP error. I am hoping one of the people with the error will actually give me a debug log so I can try and find out if there is a common problem!

Where were you looking for help with this? Is there somewhere I can document all this where you would likely have found it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HOWTO: Connect to a Microsoft PPTP VPN - CONNECTION FAILED!

Okay, quick intro - I am a complete noob to Ubuntu (and Linux for that matter) but am already an adoring fan.

I was able to get the VPN configured through the network manager; however, everytime I try to connect, I get an error message that says "Could Not Start CONNECTION NAME DUE TO CONNECTION ERROR VPN Connection Failed" (More or Less). I have no idea what is wrong, except for maybe a router issue? Is that possible? I can connect to the same VPN from other M$ machines at my home with no problems.

I have attached the syslog file.

I appreciate the help here. Being able to do this is vital for me as this is a work VPN and I am a telecommuter for the most part. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shelzmike View Post
    ppp-debug / no
    Please set 'Debug mode' to ticked in the properties dialog and post the syslog again.

Craig

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

yeah i did this and am still having problems its connected, but i dont think the DNS is updating right or something (trying to connect to WSU campus)
    Dell Inspiron 1501 - AMD Turion 64 x 2, 1GB, DDR2, 533MHz 2 Dimm, ATI RADEON Xpress1150, 80GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    My [NOTSO] Current Desktop
    Check out my website about the OpenMoko Linux smart phone

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by crb View Post
    Please set 'Debug mode' to ticked in the properties dialog and post the syslog again.

Craig
    I realized that I had not since I have posted. I appreciate the response. I will do this, but it may take a day or two. Thanks in advance for your help!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by crb View Post

Craig
    Okay, I have had a time the past couple of days. My MB crashed and I needed to get a new one. I now have an AMD 64 bit. (many be important to what I am about to say).

So, I installed ubuntu AMD 64 (Feisty) (again) and installed the Network Manager and configured the VPN through that. Everything Seemed to be straight forward, but when I went to connect, it was not.

Per your last post I did enable debugging on the connection (and this is the noob in me, I am not sure how to access that log, unless it is just under the syslog file)

Either way, I think I am now getting less accomplished with the connection now than I did from the last post.

Now the only thing that I get back is the following:
    Code:
    Jun 15 15:35:27 mike-ubuntu kernel: [11499.721013] nm-ppp-auth-dia[6635]: segfault at 0000000000000088 rip 00002b9d2e7d721b rsp 00007fff81e66770 error 4
    I think I got further last time because I was using pptconfig. However, I cannot install pptpconfig due to dependencies that are needed. Unfortuntately, I cannot install those dependencies because i get an error stating unsupported 'i386' error, which I am taking to mean that because I have AMD64, I cannot install pptpconfig.

Yesterday, I tried setting up the vpn manually, which I probably do not have to tell you did not work to well. However, I have since had to reinstall Ubuntu, so there is no strange code laying around.

So, there you have it, any possible help here? I am willing to do whatever it takes as I have to be able to connect to my office VPN and would hate to have to go back to M$. Thanks in advance for any help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't know if it will help, but if you were closer using 32 bit Feisty, there is no reason why you can't install that instead of 64 bit. The 32 bit version runs great on a 64 bit AMD CPU.
    Using Ubuntu since Warty Warthog (4.10)
    32 bit 5.04>5.10>6.06>6.10>7.04>7.10>8.04>8.10>9.04>9.10
    64 bit 9.10 upgraded to 10.04>10.10>11.04>11.10>12.04>14.04

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mgmiller View Post
    I don't know if it will help, but if you were closer using 32 bit Feisty, there is no reason why you can't install that instead of 64 bit. The 32 bit version runs great on a 64 bit AMD CPU.
    Ever the hard-head, (I still have this on my table of options); however, I want to see if I can get this to work. It is not a main machine, so I have time to kill. Thanks for the reply!
    Custom - Asus M2N-E SLI NVIDIA Socket AM2 ATX Mobo - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ 2.80GHz Socket AM2 - Cold Fusion 4G PC6400 DDR2 -
    There are only 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary, and those that don't

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast