Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Composing Music

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Composing Music

My wife is a choir director and is looking to do some music notation. While I have done a little poking around, Muse Score and NoteEdit didn't seem to be very intuitive to use. Have some more things to try, but I thought I would test this forum.

There are several how-tos on doing acutal audio composition in Ubuntu (Ubuntu Studio, etc), but this is not quite what I'm looking for.

What I would like:
    - Music Notation software which supports
    - 4-6 staff composition (SATB + right-left hand piano)
    - Simple note entry
    - Future input through MIDI keyboard
    - Finished printing capability

While I'm starting to think that we could try to do audio entry into something like Rosegarten for piano and all of the voices and then see if that would be able to give me actual sheet music (she makes learning CDs for her choirs as well, so it wouldn't be wasted work), that is not where I'm hoping to go today.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beans

Re: Composing Music

Yeah, I think rosegarden is what you're looking for.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wink Re: Composing Music

I've been using an older version of Finale, witch runs just fine under Wine.

I love open source, but I can't live without Photoshop, M$ Word2007 and Finale

//MadsRH

Beans

Check here for a list of what I think you are looking for (scorewriters). Personally, I think Denemo looks like the easiest to use.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Arrow Re: Composing Music

NtEd is very nice and new features keep getting added all the time, I think it supports most features you mentioned. It is in the ubuntu repositories but a more up to date version is available from the website at http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de...ted/nted.xhtml (look for the debian package)

Beans

I have the latest Nted in my PPA,

or you can just install this package ( for hardy heron)

http://launchpadlibrarian.net/170413...ardy1_i386.deb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by jfhutton View Post
    What I would like:
    - Music Notation software which supports
    - 4-6 staff composition (SATB + right-left hand piano)
    - Simple note entry
    - Future input through MIDI keyboard
    - Finished printing capability
    For nted, currently 4-6 staff composition is no problem. Note entry is as simple as it could be, point and click. Midi input is planned but not yet implemented. Printing is possible although it is very basic, probably better to export to lilypond and print from that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

You might get better answers in the Multimedia forum, but i would recommend Rosegarden.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MadsRH
    I love open source, but I can't live without Photoshop, M$ Word2007 and Finale
    Try The Gimp (Photoshop), OpenOffice (MSWord). Different GUI but that is about it.

Very experienced with music notation software (currently doing a bachelor of music and writing for orchestra, but have been composing and using music notation software for years) and I hate to say this but ... Sibelius is unbeatable and the only thing I use my Windoze boot for. Doesn't run well under wine and Sibelius 5 not at all. Nothing open source comes close.

If you don't require playback of instruments or voice (one thing the open source community lacks - at this point - is some serious and complete soundfonts), Muse Score is as good as it gets. Rosegarden is actually for recording (Linux equivalent to ProTools, Cubase etc) and incorporates Lilypond, the music notation component. Rosegarden per se is not a music notation editor. And like its Windoze counterparts, the notation component is not quite up to it (IMHO).

But having said all that, you might find something that fits the bill for you. You could always run windoze virtually from within Linux.

Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 9th, 2008 at 06:25 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast