Thread: Trouble Virtualizing Ubuntu on a Macbook

Beans

Question Trouble Virtualizing Ubuntu on a Macbook

Hey guys! I am having a bit of trouble when I am virtualizing Ubuntu using xVM Virtualbox on my Macbook. First off, it says that I have no sound care installed which obviously, the Macbook does have one. Also, I am trying to install and run Compiz Fusion. I read someone's directions that said to go to Preferences > Appearence and enable Normal or Extra effects. I tried to enable Normal and it said "Desktop effects could not be enabled." Any idea why? Does the Macbook have a good enough video card? I've seen videos on Youtube of people running Ubuntu with Compiz Fusion on their Macbook.

Also, is Amarok a good program to use with my iPod in Ubuntu. Last two things. In Sun xVM Virtualbox, is there a way to run Ubuntu in fullscreen mode without a black frame around it? One last thing. Is there a way for me to delete the .ISO file from my Mac hard drive so it is only in the VM because I don't want it cluttering up my desktop and OSX hard drive?

So, do you think most of these problems are because I need to install drivers of some sort?

Thanks in advance,

Tigercat212

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Trouble Virtualizing Ubuntu on a Macbook

1st. The sound problem is common, I think. I have never been able to get sound to work in my Ubuntu guest.
    2nd. The special desktop effects and compiz do not work on a virtual machine because VBox does not have 3D graphics drivers.
    3rd. Amarok is a good program, I think, if I can remember.
    Red = Temp. Out of Commission | Green = Working Fine

Main Comp: Windows 7 Home Premium
    Secondary Comp: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwahl"