Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cant log in ! Please help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Cant log in ! Please help

PLEASE HELP ME ! I CANT LOG IN !

after rebooting my computer, i now get a the folloing message when i attempt to log in ....

'GDM could not write to your autherization file. This could mean that you are out of disk space or that your home directory could not be opened for writing. In any case, it is not possable to log in. Please contact your system administrator'

I am useing Ubuntu Efty Edge, my computer is a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop, 80gig hard drive ( maybe it has got full up ) and 512mb memory !

The last session my girlfriend (she broke my computer ) was running Ktorrent and there seemed to be a problem running flash videos, thats why i rebooted !

Thanks in advance

Andrew.thebatman

Beans

Re: Cant log in ! Please help

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.thebatman View Post
    PLEASE HELP ME ! I CANT LOG IN !

after rebooting my computer, i now get a the folloing message when i attempt to log in ....

'GDM could not write to your autherization file. This could mean that you are out of disk space or that your home directory could not be opened for writing. In any case, it is not possable to log in. Please contact your system administrator'

I am useing Ubuntu Efty Edge, my computer is a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop, 80gig hard drive ( maybe it has got full up ) and 512mb memory !

The last session my girlfriend (she broke my computer ) was running Ktorrent and there seemed to be a problem running flash videos, thats why i rebooted !

Thanks in advance

Andrew.thebatman
    Ubuntu Edge is an unsupported ancient version of Ubuntu.

Back up your files to an external HDD or something using a Ubuntu live cd and install Ubuntu 8.04.1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Thanks billgoldberg !

I am running the live cd ( edgy eft ) and plan to copy the files from my hard drive onto a usb stick !

However i cannot see any of the files that are on the hard drive when i am running the live cd !

I have searched the forums and i think that my hard drive is not mounted !

using GNOME Partition Editor i can see that the main partition of my hard drive is called /dev/hda1 ! I cannot see anything that relates to this while using the Device Manager !
    I can also navigate to a folder called /dev/hda1 but i cannot open it and it dosnt contain anything anyway, so im guessing its to do with the live cd

Can anybody offer any more help ?

Thanks in advance

andrew.thebatman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Red face Re: Cant log in ! Please help

The exact same thing just happened to me.
    I'm running Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn on a PIII w/ 1GB of ram and a 40GB HD. (And -- let me just say -- I love it! And, I love these forums which I've never posted to, but have helped me out many times)

The last time I was able to log I was using PhotoRec (which is awesome), and it had stopped working because it had filled up the main partition of my hard drive. I was then able to log in as another user, but after I rebooted I got the same message.

So, luckily, I had just burned an Xubuntu 8.04.1 alternate install CD. I tried an option called ummm... Rescue Something?... I forget what it was called, but it gave me a command line without actually installing itself on my hard drive.

I thought that if I could delete some files to free up some space then I'd be able to log in. I could access other partitions but not the one where Ubuntu is installed. I'm not very strong with the command line, so I might have missed something.

I was able to empty one partition. I installed Xubuntu onto there and I'm running that now. I still can't access that full partition and I had important stuff on there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.thebatman View Post
    Thanks billgoldberg !

I am running the live cd ( edgy eft ) and plan to copy the files from my hard drive onto a usb stick !

However i cannot see any of the files that are on the hard drive when i am running the live cd !

I have searched the forums and i think that my hard drive is not mounted !

using GNOME Partition Editor i can see that the main partition of my hard drive is called /dev/hda1 ! I cannot see anything that relates to this while using the Device Manager !
    I can also navigate to a folder called /dev/hda1 but i cannot open it and it dosnt contain anything anyway, so im guessing its to do with the live cd

Can anybody offer any more help ?

Thanks in advance

andrew.thebatman
    Try this (to mount your drive):
    -Open the terminal (Applications-->Accesories-->Terminal)
    -Type these commands:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/olddisk
    sudo mount /dev/hda1 /media/olddisk
    Then you should be able to see your drive in nautilus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I had this problem a few times already.
    The easiest is to boot into recovery mode/single user mode.

From there you can delete unecessary files.
    All I usually have to do is run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    since most of the time it's installing programs that caused my root partition to fill up.

Of course, I have no idea if Edgy Eft has a single user boot mode available.
    If not, Grub should allow you to edit the boot command when you hit "e" at the boot menu.

If your boot command looks like this for example:
    Code:
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=UUID=a76c113d-5ed5-4d00-9885-d5eeebdfed19 ro
    Just add "single" at the end:
    Code:
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=UUID=a76c113d-5ed5-4d00-9885-d5eeebdfed19 ro single

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, I got it.

I first tried KIAaze's approach. It would have worked but I'm asked for the root password. I guess I haven't used it in a while and I've forgotten it. I hope I have it written down somewhere.
    I was able to mount the partition that I needed using shadow-of-sin's approach. I had trouble with this at first, because the name of the partition had changed. It was hda1, but while in Xubuntu it became sda4. I finally noticed it in GRUB, while rebooting. Then I was able to mount it and remove some stuff.

Thanks to you both.
    For me this problem is solved!=D>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

:/
    I'm stupid. I completely forgot. There's a much easier way:
    ctrl+alt+F1 -> virtual terminal
    No need for a root password there as you can log in with your normal login.

Actually, that's what I usually use. I have no idea why I suggested the single user mode instead. Either it has something to do with me getting a black screen now when I switch to virtual terminals (Intrepid bug) or I must have been a bit sleepy or confused...
    Or I just didn't have that problem for too long now.

Anyway, you solved your problem.

Beans
    Distro

Okay. That would've been easy -- I'll try it next time.
    But, look, this problem seems like a problem to me. It seems to me that Ubuntu should either:
    1) prevent itself from filling the partition up completely
    2) warm me that a full partition will make it difficult for me to log in
    3) include in the
    notice that Ctrl-Alt-F1 is an option
    4)or include the virtual terminal option as one of the options on the login page.
    This is the first big problem that I've had in more than a year, but it seems like one that should be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    Okay. That would've been easy -- I'll try it next time.
    But, look, this problem seems like a problem to me. It seems to me that Ubuntu should either:
    1) prevent itself from filling the partition up completely
    2) warm me that a full partition will make it difficult for me to log in
    It does so in hardy heron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast