I was given a computer by a friend of mine because he thought the motherboard was bad. Turns out it wasn't, and it worked perfectly fine once I installed Linux onto it. It's actually a pretty good machine aside from the RAM, and it runs fairly well with what I'm using now. Over the weekend I'm going to be sprucing it up a little bit more, but today I installed of Ubuntu 8.04.1 and Openbox 18.104.22.168.
Anyway, I did a minimal install today, and named this computer marinerII, named after both the first series of space probes to reach Mars and my main rig. after the Xubuntu install was just a little too heavy for this computer. With Openbox, I find it fitting to call it Openbuntu. Anybody have any recommendations for some light apps to use on this machine? When Chrome comes to Linux I'll be testing it out to see just how light it really is, but does anybody know of some light office applications?
e:Added Current State of Openbuntu
e:Added Current State of MarinerII
e:if an ISO is ever to be made, it will be made soon. As I said, I'm reinstalling Ubuntu right now. Then I will install the programs I like and follow this guide. The ISO will be burnt to a CD and an installation will be made to MarinerII. Assuming all goes well, the ISO will be posted to my File Savr account and a link will be posted here.
[=====Current State of Openbuntu=====]
- Used this guide for a minimum install
- Used Urukrama's guide to compile Openbox
- Using AbiWord, Gnumeric, Kazehakase, urxvt (with tabs like Urukrama's), rtorrent, Thunar, irssi, and nano
- Looking at nubuntu, fluxbuntu, and other light distros to find more light apps
- Will make an install disk with the light apps I can find for future use on any real junker boxes I find
[=====Current State of MarinerII=====]
- Specs: 2.53GHz Celeron D, 80GB HD, CD-RW drive, 256MB RAM
- Found some RAM I had lying around; sadly it was DDR2
- Salvaged 512MB RAM & cheapo nVidia GPU (7300GT?); not sure RAM is same type as existing, may only end up with 512MB RAM rather than 768MB