Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I dub thee Openbuntu!

Beans

I dub thee Openbuntu!

I was given a computer by a friend of mine because he thought the motherboard was bad. Turns out it wasn't, and it worked perfectly fine once I installed Linux onto it. It's actually a pretty good machine aside from the RAM, and it runs fairly well with what I'm using now. Over the weekend I'm going to be sprucing it up a little bit more, but today I installed of Ubuntu 8.04.1 and Openbox 3.4.7.2.

Anyway, I did a minimal install today, and named this computer marinerII, named after both the first series of space probes to reach Mars and my main rig. after the Xubuntu install was just a little too heavy for this computer. With Openbox, I find it fitting to call it Openbuntu. Anybody have any recommendations for some light apps to use on this machine? When Chrome comes to Linux I'll be testing it out to see just how light it really is, but does anybody know of some light office applications?

e:Added Current State of Openbuntu
    e:Added Current State of MarinerII
    e:if an ISO is ever to be made, it will be made soon. As I said, I'm reinstalling Ubuntu right now. Then I will install the programs I like and follow this guide. The ISO will be burnt to a CD and an installation will be made to MarinerII. Assuming all goes well, the ISO will be posted to my File Savr account and a link will be posted here.

[=====Current State of Openbuntu=====]
    • Used this guide for a minimum install
    • Used Urukrama's guide to compile Openbox
    • Using AbiWord, Gnumeric, Kazehakase, urxvt (with tabs like Urukrama's), rtorrent, Thunar, irssi, and nano
    • Looking at nubuntu, fluxbuntu, and other light distros to find more light apps
    • Will make an install disk with the light apps I can find for future use on any real junker boxes I find

[=====Current State of MarinerII=====]
    • Specs: 2.53GHz Celeron D, 80GB HD, CD-RW drive, 256MB RAM
    • Found some RAM I had lying around; sadly it was DDR2
    • Salvaged 512MB RAM & cheapo nVidia GPU (7300GT?); not sure RAM is same type as existing, may only end up with 512MB RAM rather than 768MB
    Last edited by elmer_42; September 15th, 2008 at 02:15 AM.
    archlinux \\ amd+ati \\ subtle \\ website

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: I dub thee Openbuntu!

Abiword and Gnumeric are pretty light, but if you go all the way you can install siag and pw.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by elmer_42 View Post
    I was given a computer by a friend of mine because he thought the motherboard was bad. Turns out it wasn't, and it worked perfectly fine once I installed Linux onto it. It's not amazing or fast by any standard (is there a way to check the CPU speed, RAM, etc?), but it runs fairly well with what I'm using now. Over the weekend I'm going to be sprucing it up a little bit more, but today I installed of Ubuntu 8.04.1 and Openbox 3.4.7.2. Right now I'm using Firefox, but I'm going to look into Dillo and Epiphany more as time passes.

Anyway, I did a minimal install today after the Xubuntu install was just a little too heavy for this computer. With Openbox, I find it fitting to call it Openbuntu. Anybody have any recommendations for some light apps to use on this machine? When Chrome comes to Linux I'll be testing it out to see just how light it really is, but does anybody know of some light office applications?
    Abiword is a pretty light word processor. You can run in a terminal, lspci, to find out some of the stuff in it. For example motherboard, and what not. As for memory, maybe top, will show how much it has.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

for light office apps, you should have a look at abiword (word processing) and gnumeric (spreadsheets).

Beans

Code:
    sudo apt-get install abiword gnumeric
    I use AbiWord a lot on my main machine, because it is much lighter than OpenOffice, and I used Gnumeric a year or so ago when I got a real junker (700MHz yay). Thanks for reminding me about Gnumeric!

And now I am a happy man. Any other suggestions for a good light app or a way to check my system stats would be greatly appreciated.

I know it has 256MB of RAM because that's what it said on the stick last night when I opened it up just to look around, but I'm really wondering what CPU it has. It says "Celeron D" on the front, and has the old "Intel Inside" thing with the blue circle and whatnot, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

Beans
    Distro

well, you can get cpu info by typing
    Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    into a terminal.

Beans

Thanks, dizee. Apparently it's 2.53GHz. Pretty good, no?

Beans
    Distro

yeah. depends on the cpu type of course (probably an early P4 (?) which is not a great processor) but should do everything the average user needs with ease.

Beans

It's got this sticker on the front:

Nothing too good, but will work for what this is. I may end up buying another HD and making this a FreeNAS box.

Beans
    Distro

right, you said that already and i forgot, sorry.

so yeah, a celeron 2.5 ghz... not great, but still, it should be more than usable.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast