Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Creativ ZEN X-fi

Beans

Re: Creativ ZEN X-fi

Help appreciated here as I am not sure what I'm doing....

I have a Creative Zen X_fi, karmic, and libmtp, libnjb5 installed through synaptic. My user in is the audio and plugdev groups.

I can see My Zen on /media or through rythmbox, and can play the demo music from there. gnomad2 also sees the Zen, but crashes when I try to add one of the demo songs to playlist with "PDE device NULL, Segmentation fault".

Still, the setup is different from those described in the above posts:

mtp-detect
    libmtp version: 0.3.7

Listing raw device(s)
    No raw devices found.

45-libmtp7.rules:

# Creative ZEN Vision
    ATTR{idVendor}=="041e", ATTR{idProduct}=="411f", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", MODE="660", GROUP="audio"
    # Creative Portable Media Center
    ATTR{idVendor}=="041e", ATTR{idProduct..... etc.... looks okay as far as I understand.

There is no 45-libnjp.rules file though. Does this matter?

Finally, how do I send files to the Zen? Can I just create a directory by hand and copy mp3's there? Sounds like there should be a better solution.
    Sorry for the noob question, but I am new to both the music progs and the Zen.

Beans

This is an old thread (2007) though the date is now 2010 and the release is Karmic Koala (9.10). This release is (at first) lovely for the Zen X-Fi (I have a 16GB model) - the OS detects it on plug-in and asks you what you want to do with it (open a folder? open Rhythmbox? do nothing?). The biggest plus (initially) is that the player doesn't crash (well that is nice isn't it?). The next nice thing is that you can browse it with the OS GUI file explorer, delete files, add files, etc.

After a little playing around, deleting, etc. I have come across a huge problem. I had just ripped some tracks with Rhythmbox and copied them over using the OS (I couldn't get a satisfactory union between RB and the device to do the copying...or much else...so I left it). I wanted to test them out: the player now only recognises the artists and tracks from A-C and there are no albums. If you look in "All Tracks" on the device, then you can browse all the tracks, though I have 2500+, so this isn't fun.

I hooked it up again to linux and the thing that pops up on the desktop as a link gives the filesystem in the properties as "gphoto2" and the capacity as 2.9GB, though when searching though the files it finds 12+GB of files.

So... I have now corrupted the fs on the device. How do I get it back? DO I copy the files onto my HDD and re-format? How does one re-format an X-Fi?

:Z

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Creative ZEN X-fi and Ubuntu 9.10

I can't transfer any files to Creative Zen X-Fi from Ubuntu 9.10.

1. The player is mounted automatically, but when I open it the file browser shows the "gphoto2://[usb:002,002]/" location and I can't see any files on my player. I tried to open Rhythmbox, Banshee to no avail.

2. The latest version of Amarok doesn't have the Media Devices in the Settings, so I can't use it as well.

3. If I launch gnomad2 it reports the following error: "No jukeboxes found on USB bus". In the terminal it shows the following:
    Code:
    usb_claim_interface(): Device or resource busy
    LIBMTP PANIC: Unable to initialize device
    PDE device NULL.
    4. Tried to use mtptools:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libmtp mtptools mtpfs
    sudo mkdir /media/zen
    sudo chmod 775 /media/zen
    sudo mtpfs -o allow_other /media/zen
    The player appear on my desktop as a regular drive, but when I try to access it I get the following error:
    Code:
    Transport endpoint is not connected
    5. gnomad2 doesn't see my mplayer reporting the following error:
    No jukeboxes found on USB bus.

I tried to create no-automount.fdi file in /etc/hal/fdi/policy with the following content:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
    <deviceinfo version="0.2">
     <device>
          <match key="info.product" string="ZEN X-Fi">
            <remove key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">portable_audio_player</remove>
          </match>
      </device>
    </deviceinfo>
    My player is no longer mounted automatically and gnomad 2.9.4 can see it. However I can't transfer any files with it. The right panel always stays empty.

I tried so many things, but still have no idea why using Creative Zen X-Fi in Ubuntu 9.10 is so complicated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cool Re: Creativ ZEN X-fi

I used to run Ubuntu 8.10 and got my Creative Zen X Fi working fine by running Gnomad2 in sudo. Now I'm running 9.10 on a fresh install (libmtp and libnjb5 etc, have been installed). When I plug it in the MP3 player goes into docking mode, it comes up on my desktop and I can browse the MP3 player just fine from nautilus. The annoying part is that Gnomad2 won't recognise it (even in sudo), nor will Rhythmbox or Banshee.
    Thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Creative ZEN X-fi and Ubuntu 9.10

Quote Originally Posted by alexthunder View Post

1. The player is mounted automatically, but when I open it the file browser shows the "gphoto2://[usb:002,002]/" location and I can't see any files on my player. I tried to open Rhythmbox, Banshee to no avail.

2. The latest version of Amarok doesn't have the Media Devices in the Settings, so I can't use it as well.

3. If I launch gnomad2 it reports the following error: "No jukeboxes found on USB bus". In the terminal it shows the following:
    Code:
    PDE device NULL.
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/zen
    The player appear on my desktop as a regular drive, but when I try to access it I get the following error:
    Code:

I tried to create no-automount.fdi file in /etc/hal/fdi/policy with the following content:
    Code:
     <device>
          </match>
      </device>
    </deviceinfo>
    My player is no longer mounted automatically and gnomad 2.9.4 can see it. However I can't transfer any files with it. The right panel always stays empty.

I tried so many things, but still have no idea why using Creative Zen X-Fi in Ubuntu 9.10 is so complicated.
    I am having every last one of the exact same errors you are. Why? WTH do I have to do to get it to work?
    Registered Linux User #479009
    Friend-->Linux; 6 and counting...

Beans

Creative ZEN X-fi and Ubuntu 9.10

Code:
    PDE device NULL.
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/zen
    Code:

Code:
    <device>
    </match>
    </device>
    </deviceinfo>

if you try going into nautilus (just open up the file browser) you can probably see Creative Zen X-Fi as a media storage device. It should have a little "Eject" symbol next to it. If you click that to dismount it, then try Rhythmbox or Gnomad2. it should hook up just fine and you should be able to transfer media to and fro without any problem. You just have to remember to dismount the Zen before trying to sync with Rhythmbox or Gnomad2. IDK about Armarok, it's probably the same way.

SO... just dismount the X-fi and THEN open up your media client.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456