Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3G network support

Beans

Re: 3G network support

This is a huge step forward for Ubuntu, In built support for 3G will mean that laptop users can access the internet from anywhere that has a mobile phone signal.

This alone is enough reason for me to upgrade from a very stable 8.04 (I probably would have anyway). Well done to the devs for this, it just remains to be seen how well it works at the first try (even if it isn't perfect in Ibex at least the fact that Ubuntu is working towards this is a huge step)

I have been looking at getting a 3G card for some time now, even if it was only to use in windows, think I will hang on to see which ones work best with Linux too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Well, you say high speed everywhere, somewhat depends on your country and provider

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    VMC was forked and is now going to be integrated into Network Manager, dunno if this is what they are referring to or not. http://public.warp.es/vmc

Another possibility could be the inclusion of VMC into the repos?
    That's the Vodafone Mobile Connect software I've not tried the fork yet.
    I hope they do include it! Think i'll try the fork later
    Laters...
    Sol
    "Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere" User numbers: Ubuntu 23772 Linux 477911

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by damoxc View Post
    Well, you say high speed everywhere, somewhat depends on your country and provider
    True, but 3G coverage is growing all the time, soon even out of the way little backwaters like Wales will have 3G

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12