Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fujitsu T1010 touchscreen and Kubuntu experience

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Fujitsu T1010 touchscreen and Kubuntu experience

After some adjustment, the laptop works perfectly.
    On the first boot, when Vista installs itself, you can choose a minimal size of 50 Gio for the main Vista partition. The recovery partition must remain unchanged if you want to reinstall the laptop like it was out of the box (about 2 Gio).
    A good point is that the hard drive have no tatoo.
    A bad point is the touchscreen: as it is a passive digitalizer, you have only a single click stylus and no pressure effect.
    You must search about Wacom's touchscreens if you wish use the laptop as a "painting" device. (I think the T5000 series is sold with such touchscreens)

As you see, I don't speak english very well, but if you speak french a little bit, you can read the report I've made on the ubuntu-fr wiki : http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/fujitsu-siemens_lifebook_t1010

There is also some non effective function keys like the volume keys but it is not very important for me, and I haven't searched a very long time about their configuration.
    Another thing : I'm running Xubuntu 9.04, so maybe some behaviour are different on a Gnome or KDE desktop.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by draco31.fr View Post
    Just to inform that an other driver is avaible here : http://spareinfo.blogspot.com/2009/0...screen-iv.html
    A calibration script is also avaible, and screen rotation is also supported.
    I am running the karmic beta and for a while the touch screen driver was still working well after running:
    sudo make clean
    make
    sudo make install
    To install it to each new kernel.

With the most recent kernel (2.6.31-14-generic) it seems to have broke. I don't get any errors so I am not sure how to troubleshoot it.
    Last edited by vertago1; November 23rd, 2009 at 05:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have a son who does not speak, yet.

I was looking for a tablet PC to use as a communication device.

He is able to communicate using pictures and now is able to type.

Although I am new to Linux/Ubuntu, I do have a lot of computer background and a willingness to write code to get things to work. (With a little help from my friends.)

I am a little confused in trying to determine the difference between a Ubuntu install and a Kubutu install?

Finally, how are things working on your Lifebooks? I am looking at buying one. Initiating a picture to speech software and moving to a text to speech option.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    MN

Beans

The primary difference between kubuntu and ubuntu is that ubuntu uses the gnome graphical interface and kubuntu uses the kde graphical interface. They share the same package repositories which means they download updates and additional software from the same source.

The nice thing about kde 4.0 (in kubuntu) is that it uses a c++ library called QT4 (http://qt.nokia.com/) which is cross platform, so any software you write would be easier to port to windows and or mac.

I don't a whole lot about the built in accessibility tools but you could use a live CD to try them out on one of your computers without changing any of your software.

So far I have been very pleased with my Lifebook. Some of the minor features that make it superior to other portable computers I have used are the right angle power connector which keeps the cord from getting messed up, and the way it handles battery charging when the battery is close to fully charged (it will only start charging if the battery is under a certain level) which extends the life of the battery.

The performance on the T1010 is pretty good, I swapped the hard drive out for a ssd on mine for even more performance.

Xournal is a relatively good software for drawing / note-taking but for text to speech you probably ought to look at a free software called festival (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TextToSpeech).
    Last edited by vertago1; November 23rd, 2009 at 05:43 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123