Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MillionDollarHomepage.com

Beans

Cool MillionDollarHomepage.com

This guy from England thought of the idea of selling pixels for 1 dollar each on a website he made called Million Dollar Homepage. His goal was to get a million dollars to pay his way through college and so far he's made around 600,000.

I saw him on Fox News a couple of days ago and now he was just on Attack of the Show.

www.milliondollarhomepage.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: MillionDollarHomepage.com

Saw this a while ago, not sure that I approve to be honest, at least most ad-brokers provide some sort of service, e.g. Google provides a search engine, television and radio provides entertainment (well, supposedly they do). What this guy has made is just a page full of advertisements.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Don't support BS like this. I must have seen 3 of these sites in the past week. It's the equivialent of "Hey guys click my google ads, I need to feed my 5 kids, pay for utilities, and I need a new car"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Malphas
    Saw this a while ago, not sure that I approve to be honest, at least most ad-brokers provide some sort of service, e.g. Google provides a search engine, television and radio provides entertainment (well, supposedly they do). What this guy has made is just a page full of advertisements.
    But...you're missing the point: It works. This guy's made over $600,000 If I could make even $100 from something like that, I would lose all moral issues with it

-Wild

Beans

I still can't get on it. All the people that were watching Attack of the Show must be clogging the servers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by WildTangent
    But...you're missing the point: It works. This guy's made over $600,000 If I could make even $100 from something like that, I would lose all moral issues with it

-Wild
    Well at the risk of sounding like an *******, I wouldn't. Do you have no moral issues with the way Microsoft operates because Bill Gates has made a lot of money for it? How about drug cartels, unethical oil and pharmaceutical companies, bank robbers, pimps etc.?

Beans

Well at the risk of sounding like an *******, I wouldn't. Do you have no moral issues with the way Microsoft operates because Bill Gates has made a lot of money for it? How about drug cartels, unethical oil and pharmaceutical companies, bank robbers, pimps etc.?
    Your acting like what the guys doing is wrong.

It's just a webpage made entirely out of ads. It's not like he's selling drugs or robbing banks. If you don't like the website don't visit it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by BWF89
    Your acting like what the guys doing is wrong.
    Well I certainly do think it's unethical and kind of sleazy. It's almost the same as begging, which I'm not against per se, except the guy doesn't need the money (not $600,000 anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by BWF89
    It's just a webpage made entirely out of ads. It's not like he's selling drugs or robbing banks. If you don't like the website don't visit it.
    I didn't say it was comparable to those things. I was making a point using extreme examples that just because someone is capable of making money doing something, it doesn't mean that morals go out the window. That post was in response to WildTangent's statement and shouldn't be taken out of context.
    Last edited by Malphas; November 16th, 2005 at 03:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

That's entirely different. Those examples are highly unethical. If someone wants to give me $100 for a 100 pixel spot on my website, that's their problem, not mine, and it's not illegal.

-Wild

Beans

This is a summary of the over-commercialization of the web. Like a monolith.
    Previously known as 23meg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast