Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo X200 Owner's Thread

Beans

Lenovo X200 Owner's Thread

So far, the newest ultraportable offering from Lenovo is very close to being fully compatible with Ubuntu 8.04 amd64 directly out of the box.

These two things need to be done to get it fully functioning:

Wi-fi: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=16 (The poster indicates that the instructions don't work for him, but if they're followed closely, they work for the X200).

Intel Video drivers: http://melchiorre.wordpress.com/2008...0-deb-package/

To install this deb, you have to use apt-get to remove the default driver package, but after that, installation goes well and enables 2d and 3d support.

Suspend to RAM is not working for my configuration. I'll re-post if I find a solution.

Trackpoint:

For vertical/horizontal scrolling using the middle mouse button, replace the automatic xorg.conf entry with:

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
    	Driver		"mouse"
    	Option		"CorePointer"
    Option "EmulateWheel" "true"
    Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2" 
           Option "YAxisMapping" "4 5"
           Option "XAxisMapping" "6 7"

EndSection
    Fingerprint reader does not work.
    Last edited by nate_2001; September 2nd, 2008 at 06:29 PM.

Beans

Re: Lenovo X200 Owner's Thread

Thanks for the post. I have ubuntu running on my x200 just fine. I have some minor issue. Did you get the webcam to work? When I try to use the cam in skype the machine just locks up but the light comes on next to the cam.

Beans

Hi,

First of all, thanks for basic information about that the X200 is working fine with Ubuntu 8.04. I would be very interested if any of the external Monitor outputs is working in Ubuntu with the X200. Especially I'd like to know whether the VGA Output is working for connecting the X200 to a beamer and the Displayport Output in the Docking station with an external (preferably high resolution like WUXGA) DVI-connected display.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

New Laptop 5 days away!

My new x200 is about 5 days away i cant wait; how do people apply bios/firmware updates here without windowz?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I wrote up a post on how to get the ThinkPad wireless card to work in Ubuntu 8.04 on an X200. Figured that might save some folks some time.

Regarding webcam support, I just installed Cheese, ran it, saw the webcam light flash, then stay on, and Gnome totally froze. Well I could move my mouse but that was about all. Couldn't even Ctrl+Alt+Bksp. Not sure I want to try again.

Update: more info in this thread: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=551463
    Last edited by justincwatt; September 11th, 2008 at 06:04 AM. Reason: adding link to cheese bug report

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My X200 is running much hotter with Ubuntu than Vista. Fan is actually also on (which it is not with Vista). Also, battery life is worse..

Is this because I use amd64 or is it Ubuntus fault?
    The best in life is free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Looks like the bug with the blackscreening has been resolved now.. and has been pushed into the ibex stream.. holy!

Beans

Hi. I'm a noob here, eh? My X200 should be in my hands within days and I just had a few questions.

1) Will the webcam be supported in Intrepid Ibex? Is there any hack that gets it working with Hardy Heron?

2) Is the 3D acceleration for the X200's Intel X4500 (I believe that's the model anyways) supported in Intrepid Ibex out of the box? Does the method described here to support the X200's integrated graphics support full 3D acceleration?

3) Is there support for the Intel 5300 wireless a/b/g/n option? (I bought this almost on impulse.) If not, will Intrepid Ibex support it?

4) How about the GPRS/WiMAX modem? Will Intrepid Ibex support that (Mark Shuttleworth has said that there will be support for this type of wireless in general for Intrepid Ibex.)

Thanks in advance! I might be asking the wrong people. If I don't get a response, I'll open a thread in the Intrepid Ibex forum(s.)

Beans

I do not have a webcam on my configuration.

I'm getting an external monitor today, so I will let you know if the outputs work.

As for battery life and heat, I've not noticed a significant heat issue. I'm always below 40 C according to the sensors. Battery life is lower. I got about 5.5 hours of normal use on a 9-cell battery. This is a continuous laptop issue with Ubuntu ... you can search about using Intel Powertop. I folks have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Beans

The suspend to ram (hibernation) thing works if you configure it in
    system >> preferences >> power management.

I can close the lid, or use the power button to put my x200 into hibernation mode. This is with the AMD64 OS.

I, too am getting about 5.5 hours from a 9-cell battery that got 7 hours in Vista 64-bit. The fan runs all the time on both AC and battery, just slower on battery.

I hate Vista and feel that 1.5 hours of battery life is a fair trade to rid myself of that pox on human kind.

I have a question for you all. How do I change the amount of shared video ram? I have 4 gb and want to send the max to the video card.

Thanks..............

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast