Thread: Apache / PHP Compilation Software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Apache / PHP Compilation Software

I'm planning to open a webserver (a personal one, not from any company) based on Ubuntu Server.

The first thing that pops up on my mind is Apache and PHP. Both comes included (built-in) on the Ubuntu 8.04 but... let's say that, for some reason, I need to downgrade to Apache 1.3x, it must surely be done by recompiling / reinstalling apache.

I'm used to the cPanel service and their lovely (or not so much when it fails) compilation software called EasyApache. I know a few about how to manually configure/make apache and php, but this software allows you to just select which apache modules you want, which you don't, and the same with the php configuration.

The sad thing is that it just works on CentOS / RHEL / Fedora servers, and those must have cPanel installed and licenced (well.. not really licenced, it tends to work anyway, but let's keep going).

Will I end up compiling the server with my bare hands and brain? Or there's an easy way to install and select addon-modules just as on the cPanel i've mentioned above?

Can EasyApache be installed separately from cPanel and work on Ubuntu or is it some copyrighted closed source software?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Apache / PHP Compilation Software

Doesn't anybody uses ubuntu server as a webserver? :S
    I don't mind if you give me just a stupid answer, i feel alone in the dark with 0 replyes