Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] No mouse control

Beans

[SOLVED] No mouse control

Hi i have vista and hardy (kubuntu) on my destop and laptop and i have a old computer in the basement running windows 2000 (it's original os was windows 95)
    and i want to install xubuntu 8.04 and when it loads up from the live cd i can't move the muse al all.
    i tryed the cordless usb mouse and that didn't work ether

128 mb ram
    4gb hardrive
    sentral port mouse
    ps/2 keyboard

Beans

Re: No mouse control

anybody know?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

You cant see the mouse or its not detecting. Both are different. If its detected, just try moving it around and you can find things getting highlighted. If its not, then it wont.

Additionally read this archives thread, it can be also useful http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-438905.html
    Zeitgeist and Ubuntu Privacy Manager Developer

Beans

my old computer did not orignally have usb ports so i bought a usb hub(pci) and that still dont work.
    usb hub:nexxtech usb 2.0 pci card

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

if nothing else your old computer does not have the required ram to install xubuntu. see this from xubuntu's requirements;
    System Requirements
    Xubuntu is available for PC, 64-Bit PC.

CDs require 128MB RAM to run, or 192MB RAM to install. Desktop install requires at least 1.5GB of free space on your hard disk.

in the case of a computer this old, i'd suggest something like puppy linux, or damn small linux. and if it still has it's original cd drive, that may also be one of your problems. it's to slow to run the live cd properly.

Beans

i tried damn small Linux but
    i had the same issue

the mouse won't move

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Hyper Tails View Post
    i tried damn small Linux but
    i had the same issue

the mouse won't move
    ok, is there a special reason why you want to install another operating system on this antique? if win 2000 is running fine leave it. you've already got a dual boot system on a much newer and better computer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oilchangeguy View Post
    if nothing else your old computer does not have the required ram to install xubuntu. see this from xubuntu's requirements;
    System Requirements
    Xubuntu is available for PC, 64-Bit PC.

CDs require 128MB RAM to run, or 192MB RAM to install. Desktop install requires at least 1.5GB of free space on your hard disk.

in the case of a computer this old, i'd suggest something like puppy linux, or damn small linux. and if it still has it's original cd drive, that may also be one of your problems. it's to slow to run the live cd properly.
    yeah thats ture it is very slow (it was made in 1997)
    i haven't tried puppy Linux but if that don't work. i'l install virtual pc 2004 on that machine to see how that goes

Beans

can anyone try helping me please with this still?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Had similar problems trying to install Xubuntu 7.04 on an old HP laptop with only 256MB of RAM. Simply would NOT find the mouse plugged into the mouse port on the back. Ended up using a mouse plugged directly into the one USB port, using the keyboard plugged into the keyboard jack.

Sounds like you're trying to use both USB keyboard and USB mouse plugged into a USB hub, I would be surprised if that works. Your laptop probably has ps/2 jacks for keyboard and mouse. You could try what I did and see if that works -- but you'll have to get hold of a "legacy" keyboard that plugs into the ps/2 jack.

The posts about not being able to install with only 128MB of RAM are correct. You might be able to install from the alternate version -- the one that uses a text interface. But then, it's likely to not be able to load a graphics desktop once installed.

I was able to load PC Linux OS onto my old laptop and it works OK. They're working on a new "mini" version that just might run on the limited RAM you have. You should google for their site and see what they have.

Last, but not least, even if you do get the laptop to install, don't be surprised if some of the hardware features simply do not work. It's not unusual for laptop vendors to work deals with hardware vendors to supply customized drivers -- which won't work for you because they were written to work with Windows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast