Thread: Matlab r2007a Student Edition Installation Help Please

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Matlab r2007a Student Edition Installation Help Please

Hello, I have spent reading through forums and trying to install matlab on my linux distribution-debian AMD64 machine. After I have mounted my cdrom with the exec option added in my fstab, I run the following command:
    Code:
    /cdrom/install_unix.sh
    I get the following error message:
    Code:
        An error status was returned by the program 'xsetup',
        the X Window System version of 'install'. The following
        messages were written to standard error:

/media/cdrom0/unix/update/install/main.sh: line 86: /media/cdrom0/unix/update/bin/glnxa64/xsetup: No such file or directory

Attempt to fix the problem and try again. If X is not available
        or 'xsetup' cannot be made to work then try the terminal
        version of 'install' using the command:

install* -t    or    INSTALL* -t
    Somehow the student version doesn't have the AMD64 installation file?!?! What can I do to get Matlab installed? Please help me in detail such as the exact bash command line I should type in since I am quite noobie at BASH (still trying to learn). Any help is appreciated. Thank you!~ (For the record, I've posted the exact same post in the Education and Science Forum, but no one answered after 3 hours. Therefore, I've decided to try posting here)
    Last edited by Xephyrind; August 31st, 2008 at 10:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Matlab r2007a Student Edition Installation Help Please

Is the file actually not there? Are you running the installer as root?
    Help yourself: Search the community docs or try other resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Spencer
    Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
    Let science use your computer when you aren't: Folding@Home.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by jpkotta View Post
    Is the file actually not there? Are you running the installer as root?
    Thank you jpkotta for being the only person for replying to me. I have finally figured out how to deal with this about three hours ago. Really appreciate your concern ~

Could you post your solution? Thank you.

Moved to Education and Science.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    Could you post your solution? Thank you.

Moved to Education and Science.
    Certainly, Boss~ Been working on one since last night almost finished. Checking for potential confusion right now. After that I am going to post it up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

After seventy-two hours of grueling trying to figure out how to install Matlab on my AMD64 (64 bit architecture) debian system as a linux n00bie, I hope this simple guide will save countless hours for others. Below are the solutions for Debian and Ubuntu. Again, this is the noobie way of doing it probably, but it has worked for me. If you have better solution please share it with everyone. I'd like to know as well. As a common and good academic practice, The following people and references are cited and thanked:
    Raviolios and andrew.hoell on our beloved Ubuntu Forum. Their posts can be found in the following internet address to another post in the forum.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=matlab
    SOLUTION:
    Debian:
    1. Log in as root in terminal by typing:
    Code:
    su -
    2. input in your root password.

3. Enter the top directory by issuing the following command
    Code:
    cd ..
    4.pop in your matlab CD into your cd/dvd rom drive. I believe most systems auto mounts cd/dvd rom drive upon the detection of your matlab cd in the drive. Issue the following command in the terminal:
    Code:
    ls
    The reason we did all that is that it seems on the forums, some systems mounts the optical/cd/dvd drive as a folder called cdrom and some others as a folder called dvdrom. Since I am a noob, my best bet is simply just see which one your system called as your optical drive is mounted automatically. You should see a lot of folders with ONLY one folder's name related to your cd/dvd rom drive.

5. After discovering the name of your optical drive in the system, we will go ahead and edit a line in your fstab file.

The fstab file is in your /etc directory. If you choose to use GUI to access the fstab file, you will need to have root power in GUI to edit that file, or else the system will not let you save. I vaguely rememeber that it has to do with some nautilus command with su or sudo, but I don't remember the detail.

I used VIm text editor in CLI to do the job.
    Code:
    vim /etc/fstab
    6. look for a line that looks something like but doesn't have to be exactly like this: (if your optical given name is cdrom then it should say something like /dev/cdrom /cdrom or something like that. In short, don't bother changing anything in there except for in the upcoming step 7 which is adding an 'exec' at the right location).

/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 noauto,ro,user 0 0

7. add an 'exec' right after the mumbo jumbo noauto,ro,user like the following example:
    /dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 noauto,ro,user,exec 0 0

8. save the file. In VIm, simply press [shift]+ZZ

9. Since student version of matlab does not come with 64bit version of the file system, we'll have to live with the 32bit version. To do that, we need to first install the 32bit version of some library by issuing the following code in the terminal:
    10. Issue the following command in the terminal:
    Code:
    apt-get install ia32-libs
    Select Yes by inputting y with [carriage-return], then
    pop in your debian installation disk.

11. now just to be careful. Let's remount our optical drive. Since my computer calls my Asus cd/dvd/rw 'cdrom', I guess that's the name I'll have to live by and refer to my optical drive, 'cdrom'. If yours is referred to as something else, substitute in the corresponding name in the right locations in the following terminal command:
    Code:
    umount /cdrom
    so if yours is called dvd then issue in terminal
    Code:
    umount /dvd
    12.mount optical drive by issuing following command in terminal
    Code:
    mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /cdrom
    13. decide you place you want to install matlab in. I put it in /usr/local/matlab74_sv in terminal:
    Code:
    mkdir /usr/local/matlab74_sv
    14. now finally to install, in terminal:
    Code:
    /cdrom/install_unix.sh -glnx86 -t
    15.Now just follow the directions on screen and make sure the installed path is directed to matlab74_sv, then you are pretty much done.

16. Register/activate your product or else your matlab will NOT run and WILL DEFINITELY complain about your some JRE thing. Direction to activate is here:

http://www.mathworks.com/support/sol...ution=1-3YZBZ6

17.If after you registered/activated your matlab student version and it doesn't work, please let me know and kindly give me the solution. This is because I have not submitted my schedule to mathworks, yet; therefore, I do not know anything about the activation process.

18. Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated as your contribution in criticism, suggestions, and questions about this article will nourish me as a scholar and as an individual. Finally hope this guide will at least somewhat help people !~
    Last edited by Xephyrind; September 3rd, 2008 at 03:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Hi Xephyrind,

Thanks for your howto. So that you know, there are some steps afterwards to finish the install and activation process. Indeed, the JRE problem brought by Matlab is not a licence error. You have to link to an appropriate 32 bit jre on your system.

What worked for me was to install a 32 bit jre with synaptic. Then to export the java path in the Matlab bash.

Code:
    sudo vim $MATLABROOT/bin/matlab
    Then add the following line at the beginning of the bash (just after the first long commented part) by replacing of course the path by the one linking to your 32 bit jre.

Code:
    export MATLAB_JAVA=/usr/lib/jvm/ia32-java-6-sun/jre
    You must also link your 32-bit java for your machine to use it.

Code:
    cd $MATLABROOT/sys/java/jre/ 
    sudo ln -s glnx86/ glnxa64
    next check if the variable is being correctly used by matlab.

Code:
    matlab -n
    If this shows you the line that you've added then you are all set. You can start using matlab.

Code:
    matlab -glnx86
    you should get to the activation process and then to your matlab install.

jon
    Last edited by jonos; December 10th, 2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: A step was missing for this to work correctly. Fortunately, this also works for the brand new student 2008b release