Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] Shutdown Broken

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Shutdown Broken

How old is the machine you are running ubuntu on? I don't understand why you would need that "apm" setting as ACPI should perform all apm functions as apm is really old now.

Don't worry about the black screen thing, I was hoping the acpi=force would work for you. A lot of people experience the black screen with those settings and it is completely reversible by merely replacing your modified /boot/grub/menu.lst with the backup you made. To do that you type this:

Code:
    sudo cp /boot/grub/backup/menu.lst.old /boot/grub/menu.lst
    However before you try that let us know how old the computer is.
    Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.
    "Ubuntu" - an African word meaning "Gentoo is too hard for me"
    unexpected token <EOF> expected "WITTY ONE-LINER"

Beans

After Ubuntu shuts down, wait for the lights to flash at the top right of your keyboard, then just shut it off at the power bar. I do it all the time with no problems.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

After Ubuntu shuts down, wait for the lights to flash at the top right of your keyboard, then just shut it off at the power bar. I do it all the time with no problems.
    I have tried more than a dozen Linux distros, and none of them will turn off the power at shutdown. My main concern is the horrible sound the hard drive makes when it spins down to stop. I found a thread on the forums here that offered a suggestion, I followed the suggestion and, by golly, it worked for me. It stopped the terrible HDD noise and shuts off the power as expected.

First, open the /etc/modules file as root in your text editor. If you use Xubuntu use mousepad rather than gedit text editor:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modules
    Then add this on the bottom as the last line of the file. Then save and close the text editor:
    Code:
    apm power_off=1
    You gotta reboot once before it will work correctly.

As I said, it works for me in all versions of Ubuntu and Ubuntu derivatives that I have tried.
    Last edited by 4Orbs; September 1st, 2008 at 06:12 PM.
    i5 2500k | Gigabyte Z68 UD3p | Corsair 1600LP 8gb | MSI HD6870 TwinFrozer | Samsung 830 SSD/WD Black | Seasonic 520w modular
    http://spankmon.wordpress.com

Beans

My laptop's about 3 years old - Built for XP SP2, Intel centrino, etc.

I had ubuntu (gutsy) installed on a 10-year-old machine before, and it worked fine.

It seems having can-suspend and can-hibernate set to true in the config editor is what's causing the problem. Disabling those fixes everything, so I'll just go without.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Awesome I'm glad it is sorted. Sorry we couldn't be of more assistance.

On a side note does your machine really suspend and hibernate properly with all those ACPI problems??
    Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.
    "Ubuntu" - an African word meaning "Gentoo is too hard for me"
    unexpected token <EOF> expected "WITTY ONE-LINER"

Beans

Yeah, it actually did. Having them enabled made shutdown and restart not work though.

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Shutdown Broken

Thanks for valuable informations for shutdown broken.Below the codes are very useful for me and getting the shutdown broken problem, i need to use your codes
    Code:
    cd /boot/grub
    sudo mkdir backup
    sudo cp menu.lst backup/menu.lst.old
    Code:
    sudo cp /boot/grub/backup/menu.lst.old /boot/grub/menu.lst

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12