Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've got a virus on windows

Beans

I've got a virus on windows

hi
    I recently got a virus on windows and I wander if there is any way I can delete it from linux.
    I've got linux 8.04 and windows xp.

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: I've got a virus on windows

you can run clamav or avg on your windows partition. Linux antivirus programs check for windows viruses since there are so few instances of "in the wild" linux viruses due to the security model and nature of the linux operating system.

Beans

The best way to fix windows is with BartPE:
    http://nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Put clamwin, spybot s&d and hijackthis on a CD and reboot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: I've got a virus on windows

What I would do is boot into Linux and buy a good commercial antivirus - NOD32 and Kaspersky are what I normally recommend as they have good coverage and don't slow the PC too much. Download this to your Windows partition. The suite versions should include antispyware and firewalls. Using Ubuntu ensures you aren't giving your credit card to some malware - often there is more than one virus involved.

While I like Clamav in theory, I wouldn't expect it to have the up to the minute coverage of the zillions of variants of malware on Windows - even the commercial tools can't cover all the variants of a single virus, but they should do better. Clamav is OK as a 2nd scan from Ubuntu, but the version in the Hardy repository is out of date (0.92 vs 0.93), and the PPA for Clamav didn't have a GPG key, so I couldn't check the Clamav package signature.

Also download SUPERAntiSpyware, and Secunia PSI (checks for applications with security holes), etc, putting these on Windows partition as well.

Then reboot into Windows, and install these tools, as well as Firefox and Thunderbird if not used exclusively. Within Firefox, install Adblock Plus (prevents ads which are a frequent vector for malware) and NoScript (blocks JavaScript, can re-enable quite easily - less convenient but adds a lot of security).

Once you've done a full scan in Windows using the new AV product, do another full scan using an online version of NOD32 or Kaspersky (whichever one you didn't install earlier.)

Then just use Ubuntu instead to avoid all this hassle ... I recently switched an elderly relative over from XP to Ubuntu and she really likes it.
    Last edited by Cato2; August 31st, 2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Firefox extensions

Beans

Things are getting worst.
    After a while in windows, everything jams. Everything's slow, nothing gets done. I can't run AVG. I had run AVG and It found a few things, it deleted them, but it didn't fix anything. Probably becaus it didn't do a full scan.

I never manage fully scan my computer with avg. Is it normal that It can take more than 8 hours?
    I tried spybot S&D. I managed to do a full scan. It too found a lot of things, it fixed almost all. It had to reboot to fix a fes that were in use. I let it reboot, it scan my pc again, I finds the unfixed problems, I click on "fix the problem" it jams... I can move my mouse, but nothing else works.

I'd try the advised online scan, but most website are blocked.I guess the are blocked, becaus for some reason, firefox can't acces them when I'm on windows, but there's no problem on linux.

since I can't do nything on windows, I must try through linux. I installed clamAV, it said that the signature was more 200 days old but that before I could update it I needed to change or update something in /etc . What do I do?

I none the less scanned my windows partition but it didn't find anything.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The only sure way to get rid of malware in Windows is to reinstall.

Once you do that, I'd recommend using a SuRun to set up a proper privilege escalation system (similar to the sudo that Ubuntu and Mac OS X have).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Also download SUPERAntiSpyware,
    Although you may have to do a reinstall. I would definitely try to download the free version and run a scan. It is that good. Try clearing your Firefox cache and private data and see if you can download the program.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    The only sure way to get rid of malware in Windows is to reinstall.

Once you do that, I'd recommend using a SuRun to set up a proper privilege escalation system (similar to the sudo that Ubuntu and Mac OS X have).
    Yes, the key to securing Windows is your initial installation. Create one user account that is an "administrator" and NEVER USE IT. Any account that you use to browse the internet and do day to day work should be set as "users" and you should have very few problems.

In order to install software and make any changes to the system, you will have to log in as the administrator.

I use this setup on my parents' machine and have never had a problem. They don't even know the password to the administrator account, so they can't install software without my knowledge. I've only had to go over to their house once in the past year for a computer related issue. (I suppose I could have them run Ubuntu, but I think they would resist.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Actually SuRun makes it easy to temporarily escalate privileges from an otherwise limited user account. That way you don't have to keep switching user accounts to install software or Windows updates.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Actually SuRun makes it easy to temporarily escalate privileges from an otherwise limited user account. That way you don't have to keep switching user accounts to install software or Windows updates.
    Do you know, I knew you would post that. You always beat me to it with SuRun.
    Desktop: Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 Core 2 Duo 6300 1 GB Dual channel DDR 2 Nvidia 7300 GS
    Laptop: Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pi 2515 Intel T5450 Core 2 Duo 2 GB Dual Channel DDR2 Ram 160gb HDD (Vista/Linux Mint 5)
    [Missing OMGPP]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast