Thread: Installing ATI Graphics Driver

Hybrid View

Beans

Exclamation Installing ATI Graphics Driver

Hey people! I have Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy version and it is a 64 bit version also (let me know if you need more info). Anyway I'm totally new to Linux and I successfully compiled a game called bzflag which requires 3D Acceleration. I have a ATI Radeon X1650 AGP. And I download the driver on this link http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/l...64-radeon.html
    And it saved to my desktop so I opened it and it opens text editor for some odd reason. And I really need to get my 3d acceleration and all that good stuff going with my ATI card. PLEASE help me!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing ATI Graphics Driver

go to system>administration>hardware drivers to install.

Beans
    Distro

Try the restricted drivers manager, your driver should be there.

Beans

Actually this method might not be best, plus ATI cards really suck in linux (more of a ati issue there though)
    did you try the restricted drivers app?
    its in system> administration> hardware drivers.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lol_u died View Post
    Hey people! I have Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy version and it is a 64 bit version also (let me know if you need more info). Anyway I'm totally new to Linux and I successfully compiled a game called bzflag which requires 3D Acceleration. I have a ATI Radeon X1650 AGP. And I download the driver on this link http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/l...64-radeon.html
    And it saved to my desktop so I opened it and it opens text editor for some odd reason. And I really need to get my 3d acceleration and all that good stuff going with my ATI card. PLEASE help me!
    If the driver in the "Hardware Drivers" applet will work for you it's generally a better driver. I have 5 systems right now using AIT cards and they work fine.

If that driver won't work for you, and you want to try the driver you just downloaded to your desktop, follow these installation instructions.
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core 3.33GHz, 48GB, Sapphire RX580
    Optical -- Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    512GB SM 970 Pro NVMe/HighPoint 7101A/10.14.5
    SonnetAllegro Pro USB 3/ 4TB WD/4TB - Barracuda

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There's also an app called Envyng which installs proprietary (NVIDIA and ATI) drivers for you. The app is actually called envyng-gtk or envyng-qt, depending on whether you're running ubuntu or kubuntu - envyng-gtk is the ubuntu app.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    There's also an app called Envyng which installs proprietary (NVIDIA and ATI) drivers for you. The app is actually called envyng-gtk or envyng-qt, depending on whether you're running ubuntu or kubuntu - envyng-gtk is the ubuntu app.
    Envy is great, but it's 2 driver versions behind right now for ATI. I haven't tried the current ATI driver just released, but the 2 previous drivers have to many problems for me to even consider. The problems ARE related to it's 3D abilities and that seems to be exactly what the OP is concerned about.

The currently included restricted driver that's activated by the "Hardware Drivers" applet is in MY OPINION the better choice. It's far more stable and plays 3D games very will. The same can't be said for the ATI driver versions 8.6 and 8.7 . I haven't yet tried the 8.8 so I can't vouch for that one. It may be that the 8.8 is a fine replacement I'm not sure. Since Envy only includes the 8.6 driver I can't point anyone in that direction.
    Last edited by crjackson; August 30th, 2008 at 01:39 AM.
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core 3.33GHz, 48GB, Sapphire RX580
    Optical -- Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    512GB SM 970 Pro NVMe/HighPoint 7101A/10.14.5
    SonnetAllegro Pro USB 3/ 4TB WD/4TB - Barracuda