Thread: video card/monitor settings, Big problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry video card/monitor settings, Big problems

I'm a complete noob when it comes to Ubuntu & Linux in general. I'm not very good with the commands, and usually search for things and simply cut and paste into the Terminal. Before I get to the big issue I've created for myself, I'll try to give some info on my computer.
    Ubuntu 8.04 (with a dual boot for Windows XP as well), Dell 4600, GeForce 7600, LG L204WT Widescreen monitor.

Until today I had everything set up and running fine, and then I decided to try and hook up my computer to my TV as a 2nd monitor. I plugged in the S-video cable and had no luck getting it to work. Through a search I found this link:
    http://ubuntu-utah.ubuntuforums.org/...d.php?t=893694

I did the "sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings", and it installed. Next (this is where I'm assuming I made the big mistake), I went to the "Screens and Graphics" settings in the Applications>Other menu. I clicked the "Graphics Card" tab, clicked on "Driver", clicked the "Choose Driver by Model", clicked "NVIDIA", and went through and selected the GeForce 7 Series. I saved the settings and rebooted.

When it began rebooting, I could see the Dell start up screen, as well as the boot page (selection of OS') on my TV. But when Ubuntu loaded up, all I got was a bunch of vertical orange & yellow lines on my monitor, and a black background with some red dots on my TV. I rebooted (power button), and unplugged the cable from my TV. Ubuntu then loaded up with a 800X600 resolution; I usually use 1680X1050, if I remember correctly. Of course, I was stupid enough to mess with these settings and never saved my previous settings (hopefully lesson learned).

I've tried going to the "Screen and Graphics Preferences" thing, manually choosing my monitor and changing the "GeForce 7 series" to the "NVIDIA" in the "Choose driver by name" selection. I then click the "Test" button and get a black screen for a few seconds and then a message box saying "Configuration test failed: Please verify the selected devices and configuration."

I also tried the "sudo nvidia-settings" command, but I get a long message saying "You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run 'nvidia-xconfig' as root), and restart the x server." This of course makes no sense to me, being a complete noob.

I now realize I was way over my head thinking I could do this. If anyone has any ideas or insight about these problems, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Beans

Re: video card/monitor settings, Big problems

You enabled the driver for your card at system > admin > hardware drivers ?

If you didnt then uninstall the driver and try that.
    Last edited by tuxxy; August 29th, 2008 at 01:54 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

You could also try EnvyNG which can be found in the repositories by searching for envy. Select envy-gtk and envy-core and load those. When done open applications>system tools>EnvyNG. Select to uninstall your driver and then don't reboot, but select automatic driver loading. Let it load your driver and then reboot. That should clear up your driver problems. This may also cause a screen res of 800x600. If you get that we can work on that later.
    CyberPower Gamer Ultra 7209 | AMD Athlon II X2 240 | 6 GB RAM | 1000GB & 500GB SATA-II HD
    ATI Radeon HD4550 | HP 2430 Printer | Ubuntu 11.04 | Windows 7 | ViewSonic VA703b Monitor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by alienexplorers View Post
    You could also try EnvyNG which can be found in the repositories by searching for envy. Select envy-gtk and envy-core and load those. When done open applications>system tools>EnvyNG. Select to uninstall your driver and then don't reboot, but select automatic driver loading. Let it load your driver and then reboot. That should clear up your driver problems. This may also cause a screen res of 800x600. If you get that we can work on that later.
    I'm pretty sure if you select EnvyNG, it will select all the needed dependencies. I wouldn't mind seeing the output of your X.org as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Install Envy(link in my sig) and uninstall your drivers then reinstall. Let Envy configure everything.

Then, reboot, and type in the terminal:

Code:
    sudo nvidia-settings
    Then go to 'X Server Display Configuration'. From there you can set up both screens properly via your nVidia drivers, rather than via Ubuntu.
    Graphic driver problems? Get Envy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you so much for the help everyone! That fixed all of the problems I was having. Even my resolution is back to normal. A new minor problem has popped up though. At the login screen, all I can see is a big Ubuntu logo in the right bottom corner of my screen. I can't even see the box to type in my user name and password. Not really a huge issue since I can just type them in and hit enter, but it's kind of annoying. But thanks again everyone, I really appreciate all the help.