Thread: Is program-by-program emulation possible?

Beans

Is program-by-program emulation possible?

I am curious as to the existence of a program-by-program emulator for windows apps. Since wine doesn't work, and qemu is too slow, I was curious as to the existence of a middle ground.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Is program-by-program emulation possible?

As far as I know it isn't possible currently. One can either attempt to create a compatibility layer so that the program will run alone on the host OS (WINE) or one can emulate the entire OS (aka VM). What exactly are you trying to run?

Beans

Last time I tried Qemu, it was really slow. But I just installed VirtualBox and found its speed to be quite acceptable.

Beans

Last time I tried Qemu, it was really slow. But I just installed VirtualBox and found its speed to be quite acceptable
    I do like virtualbox, and have used for awhile, but it currently does not have working kernel modules for the intrepid developement branch.

What exactly are you trying to run?
    iTunes...I know 'bout Amarok, Rhythmbox, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I used Wine-Doors to install iTunes on Ubuntu at one point. You can't sync an iPod, but iTunes runs and the radio works.

Beans

It appears wine doors is just a "package" manager for wine, which we all know is not an emulator, anything else?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tsudrummer24 View Post
    It appears wine doors is just a "package" manager for wine, which we all know is not an emulator, anything else?
    Your choices are wine and its derivatives (Crossover, Cedega, etc.) and virtualization (I like VirtualBox). There are no other alternatives.