Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: heads up on performance issues: your machine exists in the physical world!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: heads up on performance issues: your machine exists in the physical world!

Depending on what lives in your home with you (pets...really, I mean pets...), you might have to clean every couple of months. And yes, when vacuuming, make sure the power is off, the power cord is out and you are not creating any static...easy enough by not doing it on carpet.

Haven't had a problem yet. *knocks on wood just to make sure*

BTW - danny_galaga is correct...computer hardware is much sturdier than you may think.
    This is a signature. It is original.

Beans

so your saying i should do it more than once every 4 years

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

A word of caution regarding using a vacuum cleaner; they can generate a lot of static electricity. Be careful to not touch the nozzle or wand on any sensitive electronics or chips.
    Miseris Succurrere Disco Registered Ubuntu User #11205 Registered Linux User #440357

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have even used moist cloths to clean my video board before. As long as you don't soak it too much and wait for everything to be perfectly dry before allowing any sort of electric current through, you're good to go. The vacuum idea is good, though. I have an old Dustbuster laying around that might perfectly fit the bill...

Beans

you guys are going to be in for a shock if ever you get into restoring old arcade machines. those dudes put motherboards in dishwashing machines to clean off the dust!

(i wouldnt recommend doing that with a pc though )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12