Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] wireless for toshiba laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: wireless for toshiba laptop

I have never dual booted, I`m sorry I don`t know. I normally just install over the whole hard drive.
    However, that is a different question, as is the problem with Ubuntu not booting, (which, I`m sorry to say I don`t know about either). My point is that you need to start a new thread. Something like -

"Can`t boot ubuntu [ 24.924478] ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to I0-APIC"

to see if anyone can fix that problem. If not then -
    How to reinstall ubuntu without affecting Vista partition

It`s no good asking those questions in a thread about wireless things `cause the guys who can help you with your new problem might not read it - if you get what I mean.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

the MP_BIOS bug crops up often in ubuntu installs.

I experience that problem on one of my ubuntu machines. However my problem doesn't prevent booting.

That bug means that ubuntu can't utilise APIC properly, meaning you won't have functionality such as SMP (symmetric multi processing). Apparently this is important if you're looking for performance from a machine with more than one procesor core.

Try turning off ACPI in the BIOS as that stops anything to do with APIC, hopefully it will at least allow you to boot and undo the damage.
    Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.
    "Ubuntu" - an African word meaning "Gentoo is too hard for me"
    unexpected token <EOF> expected "WITTY ONE-LINER"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am back online now and I have done everything that has been posted and still cant see the wireless card when i double click the icon in the toolbar. i just see the wired connection. I dont have the ethernet hooked up when i do it. I hate that I cant get this one to work because this is the laptop that i use the most and i need the wireless connection to work.

Can someone please walk me through it again?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Try following this guide. It is old but still good.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...highlight=gilf
    Break it, fix it, learn something.
    People who never make mistakes seldom make anything!

Beans
    Distro

I booted from live cd and still no wireless network showed up. Now my other older laptop worked because I used windows drivers from a suggestion from a previous post. Anyone think that this might be better with my wireless card than the ways that have been posted and if so how? If not then I am stumped. I have probably not understood some of the commands in the prior posts. I know someone said put something in a console and I assumed they were speaking of the terminal and I did and still nothing. Can someone in leymans terms tell me step by step what to do if you dont mind?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Code:
    wget http://snapshots.madwifi.org/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801.tar.gz
    This is downloading a zipped file that is supposed to make your wireless work. wget is the download program, followed by the web address, followed by the name of the file you are down loading.

Code:
    tar -xvf madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801.tar.gz
    This command is unzipping the file you just down loaded. In linux we use tar (amongst other things) insread of zip.

Code:
    cd madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801
    This bit moves you into the unzipped folder, just like clicking on an .exe
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    Now you are installing software that allows you to to configure and install programs from the original code.

Code:
    sudo make
    Code:
    sudo make install
    Theses 2 commands are installing software on your system a bit like following a set up wizard.

Sorry if I`m being too basic.
    Are you getting any errors.
    You need an internet connection to download the 2 packages, so plug your laptop in.
    After you`ve completed the steps you may need to reboot.

Beans
    Distro

OH MY GOD! FINALLY I CAN SLEEP. IT WORKED IT WORKED!!!!!!!! Thank you sooo much so much!!

Smooches

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: [SOLVED] wireless for toshiba laptop

Just installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 and registered. I'm totally impressed with the outpouring of help received on this thread. I need help with my USB wireless adapter, but it's late and I must go to work. When I return, i'll begin a new thread.

Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

"Smooches"

Beans
    Distro

hi there. my laptop all of a sudden stopped getting wireless. when i log on it automatically connects but now the 2 icons have an exclamation point and the other has a minus sign. I dont know why it stopped connecting but it did. also the negative sign error message says

Please contact your system administrator to resolve the following problem:

SIOCGIFFLAGS error: No such device

and when i right click on the one with the exclamation point

enable network is checked

and edit wireless network is in bold and when i left click edit wireless network i see my router listed under networks.

can someone help?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12