Thread: [SOLVED] wireless drops connection after a few minutes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

[SOLVED] wireless drops connection after a few minutes

Hi all

I recently installed 8.04 and an Edimax wireless USB stick (the card uses the RT2571 chipset). Everything worked straight out of the box and was rock solid. I set up port forwarding on my router and I could ssh and vnc into my server with no problems at all and stay logged in (from work) all day.

A few days ago I changed routers from the 2Wire 2700 to my Netgear DG384. At that point my wireless started going screwy. I changed back to the 2Wire router thinking the netgear was the problem but the wireless is still having the following issues:

After a reboot everything is fine. Then a few minutes later during transfers across the network, e.g. an update, the connection is dropped. At this point network manager (and now wicd which I installed last night) still think the wireless network is ok. There's bars on the wireless indicator in my toolbar. If I reconnect to the wireless network it's fine again for a few seconds then it disappears once more. If I try pinging my router or forcing dhcp to reconfigure I get nothing.

I've check dmesg and syslog and I can't see anything obvious.

Can someone point me in the direction of where to look? Is there a debug log for the drivers that I can check to see what's happening?

I spent the last few weeks meticulously configuring Myth, WordPress and Apache on the box so I'm reluctant to wipe it and reinstall.

Any help would be very much appreciated,
    Paul
    Last edited by battledean; August 27th, 2008 at 10:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: wireless drops connection after a few minutes

After more reading and fiddling I suspect I am using old drivers and my best bet is to build the RT73 serialmonkey drivers and install those as per this post. I'll report back progress.

Beans
    Distro

Re: wireless drops connection after a few minutes

That fixed it. Everything is working fine. The rt73 installation instructions were spot on and worked exactly as described.