Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why should i use ubuntu

Beans

Re: why should i use ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by biggiemokey View Post
    I used to have Ubuntu Hardy on my computer through Wubi, which claimed to have full Ubuntu functionality. I ended up uninstalling it - despite the fact that it loaded up quicker and I really liked the functionality, it just didn't work...Certain things, like ActiveX controls, Java, Flash just wouldn't show, and there was a "play" icon in a gray circle. Also, even though I was on a nice Dell XPS desktop (which desperately needs reformatting, but still) the fan would be louder than with Windows XP and the computer would heat up.
    I haven't actually used WUBI to install but if you want something easier, try Unetbootin to do your install. http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ it runs as a program in windows and lets you select various different distros. I've used it on my laptop and it worked great.

So my question is, did I do something wrong by having a computer in bad shape run Wubi? Or does Ubuntu always have little problems like that, such as servers being down when you're trying to download AVI codecs??? I really like the Open Source movement, and asked a few questions on here to try and figure out how to dual boot, but after my experience I'm not so sure. Was it a fluke or is Ubuntu always like that?
    only thing you should do before setting up a dualboot is run defrag a few times to make sure all the data is moved to the beginning of the drive. Far as the avi codecs, I've never had a problem getting anything to install so not sure what happened to you.
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by ugm6hr View Post

As for the question... Why should you use Ubuntu?

Only you can decide the answer to that.
    The main reason why I switched over, was to try new things. (plus it is FREE), Reason i stayed was the community I find the support for Ubuntu and most other forums of linux is far higher. They are a lot more friendly and willing to help new people out. Even for the simplest of things there is not of this RTFM... and such.

The reason for trying ubuntu would be experience new things, is HIGHLY customizable(you can have cool themes colors you can change ANYTHING with some work.), and it is FREE(free as in rights, and cost).

What makes you use it every day is up to each person to decide for them selfs.

I do hope you try the install (dual boot is always a great idea). Here are 2 links you can read to help you decide Is ubuntu right for me | Which one to pick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: why should i use ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Tux.Ice View Post
    if you dual boot , like i do youre experience will be much better.
    +1

wubi is only for a trial.

Dual booting is what all the cool kids are doing. Go ahead, try it. You'll get hooked like the rest of us.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by steveneddy View Post
    +1

wubi is only for a trial.

Dual booting is what all the cool kids are doing. Go ahead, try it. You'll get hooked like the rest of us.
    That is how I started, Never needed to boot into windows again after I had fully set up ubuntu. Plus I can access all my files on my windows drive any way!!

Beans

A think to remember is that Ubuntu isn't the only distribution of Linux.

It took me a while to find the perfect distro for me. I stuck with Fedora 6 for a while. Then tried out Ubuntu and finally switched.

I'm sure I'll go back when Fedora 10 is out. I love the way it works, and how attractive the graphics are.

Your choice though, if your fans are a bit crazy on Ubuntu, try a distribution with a later Kernel that may have sorted it out.

For example, Ubuntu 8.04 uses the 2.6.24-19-generic kernel whereas the latest Fedora uses the 2.6.25 kernel. A lot of things get fixed between those versions.

So have a play with more than one if you have the time. Make sure you back your stuff up first.

(As bad as this may sound, I tend to tell people not to try Ubuntu as their first Distro, purely because I don't want Linux to become Ubuntu).
    -[Discipline] - Macbook Pro 5,3 - Intel Core2Duo 2.66Ghz, 4Gb RAM, Nvidia 9400M + 9600GT, 320Gb HDD, Mac OSX 10.7.1 Lion
    -Windows free since May 2007.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question: "Why should I use ubuntu?"

Answer: "Because you want to!"

If you don't want to use ubuntu, then don't.

But if you do want to use this wonderful OS, then do it. Use it! Cos it's a lot more fun than only using half of what your computer is capable of...
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    Question: "Why should I use ubuntu?"

Answer: "Because you want to!"

If you don't want to use ubuntu, then don't.

But if you do want to use this wonderful OS, then do it. Use it! Cos it's a lot more fun than only using half of what your computer is capable of...
    +1

I think you just hit the nail on the head and summed it up 4 words
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quotes from the wubi site faq's

What is the performance?

The performance is identical to a standard installation, except for hard-disk access which is slightly slower than an installation to a dedicated partition. If your hard disk is very fragmented the performance will degenerate.

Is this running Ubuntu within a virtual environment or something similar?

No. This is a real installation, the only difference is that Ubuntu is installed within a file as opposed to being installed within its own partition. Thus we spare you the trouble of creating a free partition for Ubuntu. And we spare you the trouble to have of having to burn a CD-Rom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Why should you use Ubuntu? Well, there are many reasons why you might want to use Ubuntu. Everyone has other reasons, but I will tell you about mine. My reason was mostly because I wanted to try it. I had of course heard of Linux, and was playing with the idea to install Linux for some time. When I heard of Ubuntu, I decided to give it a try.

So I installed it, booted and... got a blue screen. I was one of the people who had an ATI X[blablabla] videocard. I searched on the forums, and quickly found a guide which showed me how to fix it. After that, it worked fine.

After I got the screen working, I started to experiment with Ubuntu. I was completly unfamiliar with linux. First thing I noticed was that there was nothing like a C: drive. Then off course, there was the terminal. Off course, in all my time of working with Windows, I also worked with DOS. But I soon noticed that the terminal was far more powerful that DOS. Far more powerful.

Anyway, when I saw the terminal, I immediately wanted to know more about it. And when I installed the server version of Ubuntu, I more or less ended up being forced to use it. I googled around for BASH tutorials, and found them. They learned me about the way drives are mounted in Linux, why there wasn't a C: drive and much more (didn't get through the advanced part though). I must admit though, that I replaced the server version by the desktop version later on.

Now, I can work with Ubuntu quite well. Off course, there is still a lot to learn. But with all the expertise around here, and the great help, I am sure it will not be any problem at all.
    Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40Ghz | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7800 | HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS38 ATA Device | OCZ Agility 3 SATA III SSD 60GB (ntfs [win7 boot], ntfs [win7], ext4 [linux]) + 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB (RAID0, ntfs [data])

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12