Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever Get irritated with being mistaken for male online?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Ever Get irritated with being mistaken for male online?

I have had this happen to more times then I can count, I'll be posting in a forum and what not, and it seems to never fail, someone always ends up referring to me as a guy in some manner or another, am I alone in this or does it happen to other woman as well?

Is it because I'm a bit knowledgeable in computers and enjoy using them, or possibly because I like games (even the occasional FPS, BF2 Anyone?) I just get irritated with it sometimes.

Opinions, thoughts?

Angel
    Last edited by Ms_Angel_D; August 26th, 2008 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Darn those dyslexic fingers of mine.....

OS: Kubuntu 12.04 LTS|| CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 || RAM: 3GB DDR2(PC-6400) || Display: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT 1024mb

Beans

Re: Ever Get irritated with being mistaken for male online?

Male is just the default gender online.

I don't really mind it, because I get into lots of funny situations like this:

Salt: I mean, awesome you're the super king with all the great power and great responsibility.
    Salt: I have women and money.
    SpiffyBalak: what if you prefer men?
    Salt: Well, SpiffyBalak.
    Salt: That's something you have to come to terms with.
    Salt: I dont know if the shoddy battle chat is the right place, though.
    SpiffyBalak: I'm a girl
    Salt: Oh.
    shanx: <_<
    shanx: ...

Last edited by SpiffyBalak; August 26th, 2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: random astricks at the ends of lines...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by MetalHellsAngel View Post
    Opinions, thoughts?
    One of my favorite articles about this subject is here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...teh-Intarweb-1

Brilliant

I've also blogged about encountering the issue in tech channels, which is always fun for stirring up lively comment discussion:

http://princessleia2.livejournal.com/316456.html

...and proves I have a lot of wicked cool, supportive friends.
    Elizabeth Krumbach // pleia2 // lyz@ubuntu.com
    http://princessleia.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks for the links Elizabeth I enjoyed reading both.

Stuff like this always reminds me of that scene from GI Jane where the black guy is telling her a story and the white dude is like I'm glad we've come a long way from that and the black dude is like "have we really?" I mean why do people have such a hard time believing that chick can be good at and enjoy techy stuff to..it's quite sad really.....

found this http://xkcd.com/322/ check it out..lol
    Last edited by Ms_Angel_D; August 27th, 2008 at 05:28 AM.

OS: Kubuntu 12.04 LTS|| CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 || RAM: 3GB DDR2(PC-6400) || Display: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT 1024mb

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

found this http://xkcd.com/322/ check it out..lol
    In the #ubuntu-women IRC channel on irc.freenode.net (info about IRC here) we call that comic "Rule #322"
    Elizabeth Krumbach // pleia2 // lyz@ubuntu.com
    http://princessleia.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

beauty doesnt have brains...but i guess this post umm disobeys the new-tonnes of laws.

hehe.
    Laptop: Toshiba L505 S6959
    Processor: Intel Core2Duo T6500 2.1GHz
    RAM: 4GB DDR2
    Graphics: Intel 4500 MHD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have had this happen to more times then I can count, I'll be posting in a forum and what not, and it seems to never fail, someone always ends up referring to me as a guy in some manner or another, am I alone in this or does it happen to other woman as well?

Is it because I'm a bit knowledgeable in computers and enjoy using them, or possibly because I like games (even the occasional FPS, BF2 Anyone?) I just get irritated with it sometimes.

Opinions, thoughts?

Angel
    If an online handle is gender neutral, I generally go with "male". I figure its either a guy, or a gal who is wanting not to be known as a gal for various reasons. Anyway, I try to be respectful to a degree, I refuse to go so far as to be P.C. though.

If an online handle is gender neutral, I generally go with "male". I figure its either a guy, or a gal who is wanting not to be known as a gal for various reasons. Anyway, I try to be respectful to a degree, I refuse to go so far as to be P.C. though.
    That's why I prefer to use they as singular. On an historical note, they has been used as singular by people such as Chaucer and Shakespere.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Well, when I'm talking to a group online I tend to say "guys." While the term technically only refers to men it's commonly used to refer to a group that is made up of both males and females. And it's more casual than say "ladies and gentleman" or something like that. I suppose you could try to stay as politically correct as possible, but come on! This is the Internet, so I think casual tolerance and acceptance is the best you can hope for.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Abras View Post
    Well, when I'm talking to a group online I tend to say "guys." While the term technically only refers to men it's commonly used to refer to a group that is made up of both males and females. And it's more casual than say "ladies and gentleman" or something like that. I suppose you could try to stay as politically correct as possible, but come on! This is the Internet, so I think casual tolerance and acceptance is the best you can hope for.
    I'm not talking about generalization, even I when referring to a group of people I will use the phrase "You Guys". What I'm referring to is the fact that someone blatantly refers to me as being male. Even after I've told them I was female they act their not sure whether to believe me or not.

I do see your point though, I just wonder why often times so many males have a hard time believing that a female could be on the internet, frequenting the same internet "Hang out" spots they do, such as a tech forum/chat, or FPS forum/chat. It seems to happen quite frequently and can be disturbing.
    Last edited by Ms_Angel_D; October 6th, 2008 at 11:46 AM.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast