Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever Get irritated with being mistaken for male online?

Beans

Re: Ever Get irritated with being mistaken for male online?

As a guy, I think girls who are good at using computers are cool. I mean, I've never actually met any girls who are actually good at them. They turn away at the sound of Ubuntu/Linux. Well, maybe there was one girl, who introduced Ubuntu to me but she never had the time to convert to Ubuntu herself. Using Ubuntu is just an example. You could be really good at Windows, or just computers in general. Come to think of it, I seldom meet guys who are computer-savvy. And I have yet to meet someone who uses Ubuntu (or other distros) and loves it.

Thanks for reminding me that there are girls out there on these forums. Can we request for a male/female under our avatars?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I think the assumption comes from the disparity between the number of women and men on the internet. I think it's awesome to see women interested in technology but it's not very common.

I think we probably all make assumptions about posters... I assume the poster is male unless otherwise indicated.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by lian1238 View Post
    Can we request for a male/female under our avatars?
    I think you'll find a lot of opposition to this unless it's optional. I don't hide my gender, but a lot of women do because they don't want to deal with harassment.

It's also important to remember that not everyone sees gender in such black and white terms
    Elizabeth Krumbach // pleia2 // lyz@ubuntu.com
    http://princessleia.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth View Post
    I think you'll find a lot of opposition to this unless it's optional. I don't hide my gender, but a lot of women do because they don't want to deal with harassment.

It's also important to remember that not everyone sees gender in such black and white terms
    Yup, it'd be optional of course. And the choices would be male, or female, and MAYBE "other". Just maybe. We should start a poll.

I would be against it. It would not be an accurate gauge,and it could possibly create harrassment. Female names online are more likely to get harrassed than gender neutral ones, but the latter are more harrassed than male ones.

+1.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

hi all
    i often wonder why some people are so interested in gender, i mean we all come here for the same reasons, either to ask for help or to offer help, and to discuss things relevant to ubuntu users ,so why should it matter whether male or female?
    would anyone decline help because its from a female? or vice versa?
    i dont think so
    i do realise that to some it does seem to make a difference but then they are usually the ones that dont receive the help they need
    cheers

Beans

On a board like this where the setting is controlled I don't mind if people know I'm a woman. However, in the online games I have played I usually let them assume I am a man unless it is someone I have spent enough time around to I know my gender isn't going to be an open invitation for harassment. I don't need or want legions of 16 year old morons (mentally or physically) who think they can say and do anything online because mommy isn't watching sending me private messages or for all of the game chat to become 'there are no girls on the internet' ad nauseam.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Denestria View Post
    On a board like this where the setting is controlled I don't mind if people know I'm a woman. However, in the online games I have played I usually let them assume I am a man unless it is someone I have spent enough time around to I know my gender isn't going to be an open invitation for harassment. I don't need or want legions of 16 year old morons (mentally or physically) who think they can say and do anything online because mommy isn't watching sending me private messages or for all of the game chat to become 'there are no girls on the internet' ad nauseam.
    +1
    even though i am a male i know a few people who do the same for those very reasons

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by tariquepark View Post
    i often wonder why some people are so interested in gender, i mean we all come here for the same reasons, either to ask for help or to offer help, and to discuss things relevant to ubuntu users ,so why should it matter whether male or female?
    A very good question. I'd love to spend all of my time simply doing more development in Debian and Ubuntu, indeed, that's why I started down this path. However, the issue of women in F/OSS is too big of an issue for me to ignore (as much as I've tried), so I spend more time than had planned working to even the balance and do things like reply to threads like this. I hope that someday I won't need to fend off sexist comments and inappropriate sexual advances, and more importantly, so women looking to get involved won't have to deal with it and so will be more interested in getting involved.

would anyone decline help because its from a female?
    Yes. This has happened to me several times, and only when a male came along and explained the same thing I did (even using the same words!) was it accepted.
    Elizabeth Krumbach // pleia2 // lyz@ubuntu.com
    http://princessleia.com

Beans

I really don't understand why people are such sexists. Are they just kids or even adults do such things? Whatever they are, they really need to grow up, and accept women as equal human beings and stop being so immature. I guess it's the patriarchal environmental in which they were raised?? Or they just think that discriminating others is fun. I, for one, won't discriminate other people, no matter what religion, culture, skin color, hair color, etc.. I'll try to remember to use sex-neutral 'they' instead of 'he' when referring to someone else. Or even better, I'll use their name.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast