Thread: Problem with monitor settings

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Problem with monitor settings

I recently presented my desktop with a sparkling fresh install of Kubuntu. However, the graphics card did not seem to be fully functional. So I go to the Hardware Drivers manager, and behold, the "enabled" box is unchecked. Of course, I click it.

Or that is what I think I did.
    Guess I was too tired to be close to anything more complicated than a toothbrush that night. What I saw upon booting the next day is a monitor that is stuck in 640x480 resolution, a driver that is still marked as "Not in use", and worst of all, no idea what I did or how to reverse it.

Here are some screenshots:
    Example of what the desktop looks like

What happens when I try to check the "Enable" box now

The GUI is half-inaccessible, as the second picture should demonstrate (but I have enough space to work the terminal, if fixing this through that is a possibility). Even if there is just one button I need to click to fix this whole thing, it may be that I just can not REACH it. =(

The graphics card is an Nvidia 8800GT.

Thanks in advance. Really got myself stuck this time.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Problem with monitor settings

Boink? Anyone?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Problem with monitor settings

OK, I fixed this with an old trick I learned in my Windows days - Format the partition and reinstall the OS from scratch. Has NEVER failed to remove my software problems.

Turns out the original issue was just some driver that needed to be reinstalled. All fine now. =/