Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Install UbutnuStudio Easily

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

HowTo: Install UbutnuStudio Easily

UbuntuStudio can be challenging to install for new users. I have found that quite a few users have trouble installing UbuntuStudio from the DVD. This is how to do an alternate installation.

Things you will need:
    1. Ubuntu Installation CD (from here)
    2. Internet connection (wired broadband preferred)
    3. A computer

Instructions
    1. Install Ubuntu the normal way. If that doesn't work, use the alternate install method.
    2. Once you have finished installing Ubuntu, make sure your machine works properly. Reboot the machine to make sure you can login, check your screen resolution, and most importantly make sure your network card works, and that you can connect to the internet. You are using the standard version of Ubuntu, so all of the standard documentation applies.
    3. Once your machine is configured properly, you can begin installing Ubuntu Studio. To do this in Hardy Heron, open the terminal (applications>accessories>terminal) and enter:
      Code:
      sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-audio ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-video linux-rt
      Ubuntu will begin downloading all of the packages for UbuntuStudio. This will take quite a bit of time even on a high speed connection. Once the packages are downloaded, they will be installed automatically. For instructions on other versions of Ubuntu look here.
    4. Reboot your machine and your installation should be complete.

This same method can be used for installing UbuntuStudio 64-bit. However, in step 1 you should install the 64-bit version of Ubuntu.

If you think UbuntuStudio should be easier to install, vote for my idea on Ubuntu Brainstorm.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HowTo: Install UbutnuStudio Easily

You shouldn't have to reboot. That a windish thing.

Mariane

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mariane View Post
    You shouldn't have to reboot. That a windish thing.

Mariane
    How do you switch kernels without rebooting?

Thanks for the tutorial Thelasko!

Beans

I just upgraded an ubuntu installation from hardy to intrepid (beta). If I now follow your install sequence will I end up with ubustu intrepid beta or will it still pull hardy off the repository? I need intrepid to make my usb modem work.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MWSTX View Post
    I just upgraded an ubuntu installation from hardy to intrepid (beta). If I now follow your install sequence will I end up with ubustu intrepid beta or will it still pull hardy off the repository? I need intrepid to make my usb modem work.
    All of the necessary packages appear to be in the repositories for Intrepid, so I can't see any reason why it won't work. You can search the repositories yourself from here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

WOW, this is a great idea. I wanted to install UbuntuStudio, but I don't have a DVD burner, or external HDD, so this would allow me to install it after all! YAY!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

One exception to using the real time kernel could be if running either a quad-core cpu and/or a RAID-type set-up. I forget which (or if both, either, etc.)... though I just heard that through word of mouth via the 64 Studio crowd.

So far, I've had no bad luck with running generic kernel under ubustu (64-bit). I do get the silly message when opening Rosegarden or similar apps, though thus far the gen kern makes no difference in performance. (Running a fairly fast 64-bit quad-core with 4gb ram, raid5+lvm (storage drives) and more stuff, I forget, but that's a basic idea.)

edit:
    no noticeable difference with gen kern.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Professor View Post
    One exception to using the real time kernel could be if running either a quad-core cpu and/or a RAID-type set-up. I forget which (or if both, either, etc.)... though I just heard that through word of mouth via the 64 Studio crowd.

So far, I've had no bad luck with running generic kernel under ubustu (64-bit). I do get the silly message when opening Rosegarden or similar apps, though thus far the gen kern makes no difference in performance. (Running a fairly fast 64-bit quad-core with 4gb ram, raid5+lvm (storage drives) and more stuff, I forget, but that's a basic idea.)

edit:
    no noticeable difference with gen kern.
    Yes, with this method, you don't have to install the real time kernel "Linux-rt" unless you want to. I don't think the real time kernel will make a big difference for most people with modern machines. On older machines there may be a difference. I've heard stories of people having a keyboard and mouse lag on older machines with the real time kernel, because of the real time kernel's different ways of prioritizing input/output.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Thelasko View Post
    Yes, with this method, you don't have to install the real time kernel "Linux-rt" unless you want to. I don't think the real time kernel will make a big difference for most people with modern machines. On older machines there may be a difference. I've heard stories of people having a keyboard and mouse lag on older machines with the real time kernel, because of the real time kernel's different ways of prioritizing input/output.
    Wow! That's interesting. Lagging mouse and keyboard... nuts.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Professor View Post
    Wow! That's interesting. Lagging mouse and keyboard... nuts.
    This is what I hear. It's not all too common though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast