Thread: Mediawiki/samba domain authentication

Beans

Question Mediawiki/samba domain authentication

I have done quite a bit of reading via searching here and googling over the past couple days, but I am still a bit unclear.

I currently have an old dell destop at work that is running mediawiki as a documentation server and has been quite a success. It has earned itself a 'real' server (Poweredge 2850) and I want to take this opportunity to improve it.

What I need is to have mediawiki authenticate against the AD domain (w2k3) so all employees have a login, and I would like to have the option of having shares that authenticate against AD as well that only certain users can access.

I have read http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extens...ation_Examples but am rather unsure what it would take to get the SSL working. Which brings me to likewise-open.

1. Will likewise open smooth the domain connection issues for mediawiki? (basically take care of the SSL for me)
    2. how do users sudo? I have read a few posts of trouble with this. Whats more is I dont want everyone to be able to sudo, only me and maybe a few others. Will I be able to use local accounts? Do I need to enable the root account?
    3. I also want to be able to share certain folders to certain people, this isnt a requirement at the outset but I want to plan for it now.
    4. Any other tips you may have on this configuration.

Appreciate any help, as this is a production system I am really hoping for solid answers. Unfortunately I do not have the luxury of having a test system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Mediawiki/samba domain authentication

If I get your drift;
    Code:
    What I need is to have mediawiki authenticate against the AD domain (w2k3
    You can use LikeWise or WinBind to facilitate using AD user/passwords. In other words the Ubuntu server becomes a member of the AD domain.

...(basically take care of the SSL for me)
    SSL has nothing to do with AD integration. Likewise enteprise might have SSL as a module. I have no experience with that.

how do users sudo? I have read a few posts of trouble with this. Whats more is I don't want everyone to be able to sudo, only me and maybe a few others. Will I be able to use local accounts? Do I need to enable the root account?
    The user has to be in the "adm" group to be able to use sudo. the fewer people that have full root privileges the better. Local accounts can be used as long as you have setup the login to search "files" when the AD search fails. i did see that Likewise can manage sudoers. That would be neat!

I also want to be able to share certain folders to certain people...
    Should not be a problem.

The only tip I can give you is to think out what you want to accomplish. None of the questions mention what your overall goals are. There may be alternatives...
    -BAB1

Beans

I appreciate the help. The ultimate goal is to have mediawiki use domain accounts as its own accounts. This way I can cut it off to any non-authorized access.

That is 100% of what the server is used for right now, everything else is just icing. Of course I didn't want just anybody to be able to sudo either.

I have thrown together an old system I can do some testing on, but further pointers are welcome!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

So the reference to Samba was really for the windows users authentication. If that is all, then both Winbind or Likewise will work. Make sure that if you use Likewise that you test thoroughly. I've read that it can be unstable.
    -BAB1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I don't really have anything to add to this, but I am interested in a similar setup.

In case anyone is unclear, basically what needs to happen is, Mediawiki will be configured so that only registered users can modify or even view the wiki. The trick will be disabling the normal "create a user account" functionality, instead linking it to some other (AD in this case) domain.
    10.04 Server x64, Asus P5E WS PRO, Intel Xeon E3110, 2x2GB Kingston DDR2-800 ECC, 320 GB OS, 4x2TB RAID5

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The trick will be disabling the normal "create a user account" functionality, instead linking it to some other (AD in this case) domain.
    I am not a Mediawiki person, but this looks promising.
    Last edited by bab1; August 27th, 2008 at 02:26 AM.
    -BAB1

Beans

Disabling access to non authenticated users is as easy as editing a line in the localsettings.php, though I cant find the exact link right now.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Disable_account_creation should give you what you want on that.

Mediawiki has extensive and useful documentation, I am just having trouble understanding the info. How can I know if our AD is using SSL? I know MS password transactions are secure but I thought that was from Kerberos.

The goal here is to authenticate mediawiki on AD (w2k3) domain user accounts. I was wondering if using likewise or similar would eliminate the SSL issues since on some level it would already be doing it, though maybe not the right way.

My IT guy threw a new issue my way today, he said to plan for w2k8 ^^;;;

Once again help appreciated. Has anyone accomplished authenticating mediawiki vs AD domains?