Thread: ExpressGate install from VirtualBox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ExpressGate install from VirtualBox

So I just built a new machine with a Asus P5QL-E Motherboard. I was interested in the ExpressGate feature they were advertising (not the main reason for buying the board - but a bonus I thought)

All the hype I had seen before the purchase implied that it was built into flash memory on the motherboard. It turns out that it is - but you also have to install about 400 meg of files to enable it and it's a Windows based install.

Also buried in the motherboard manual is this little tidbit:
    "ASUS Express Gate supports installation on SATA HDDs in IDE mode only"

This presented a problem as I intended to set my bios to AHCI mode.

Then a little further in the manual a ray of hope:
    "ASUS Express Gate supports installation on USB HDDs and Flash drives"

I was planning on installing Hardy as my only OS on this machine - using VirtualBox for any Windows stuff I couldn't get along without so I thought I might be able to install ExpressGate from within my Win2K VM.
    I have tested VBox out on a couple of my other machines with Fiesty, Gutsy and Hardy installs and was pretty sure it would serve my needs.

It's ironic that what is a custom Linux distro can only be installed from Windows!

So now I have my machine put together and running with Gutsy installed and VBox with USB enabled and a USB flash drive read/writable from within my Win2K VM.

But when I run the install CD it only gives me C: as a choice for install location. (also reporting there isn't enough space)

I can browse to the flash drive F: in the "change location" portion of the installer but the installer won't let me choose it as a destination. I have tried formating it as Fat, Fat32 & NTFS with the same result.

I realize I'm pushing it and this isn't what ASUS had in mind but the idea of an "instant on PC" is interesting and I would love to try it out.

I have searched quite a bit but there really isn't much info beyond press releases and a few reviews that don't mention installation.

I checked out the ASUS forums but didn't find anything about installing on a flash drive. I was going to ask a question there but decided they required too much personal information to register for the forum.

Anybody installed on a flash drive ? Anybody know anything about Express Gate ? Anybody got any ideas about what I might be doing wrong ? (other than trying to do something that was probably never intended to be done)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thumbs down Re: ExpressGate install from VirtualBox

It's ironic that what is a custom Linux distro can only be installed from Windows!
    Ironic might be too soft a word for it. Maybe "ridiculous"? All the things that I had read about Expressgate were very explicit about it being linux-based, so naturally I assumed it would work with any major distro. It seems like a really cool feature; hopefully asus will come to their senses and release a way to install it under linux. But I am also running my harddrives in AHCI mode, so I guess I'm out of luck too unless you figure out how to get it installed on a USB drive. Very frustrating.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: ExpressGate install from VirtualBox

Quote Originally Posted by quill7111 View Post
    Ironic might be too soft a word for it. Maybe "ridiculous"?
    Ironic, ridiculous, Frustrating - All good words to describe the situation.

Still hoping someone sees this that has installed Expressgate on a USB flash drive so I can get a clue on where to go from here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Bump -- Anybody have expressgate installed on a flash drive?

Anybody figured out a way to have expressgate on a Linux only computer?

Beans

These guys have: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11653

Although I can't make any since of their scripts. Looks like they install expressgate to flash using some kind of img file and then tie it into your current grub menu
    MS gonna get ya

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

A quick look at the post leaves me a little confused as to exactly what they are doing. Hopefully when our busy season here on the farm slows down a bit I will have time to study it and understand better. Thanks again.

Beans

I realise this is an old thread, but just thought I'd post a word of warning, having just bought an Express Gate motherboard.

Express Gate doesn't have the necessary drivers to support add-on wireless - e.g. PCI cards. This was stated in an e-mail to me by an Asus rep. after I'd struggled fruitlessly to get my card recognised. Wired LAN is OK.