Thread: Rhythmbox over ssh can't see multimedia keys

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Rhythmbox over ssh can't see multimedia keys

I can run Rhythmbox from my other computer through ssh -X and play music through the other computer's speakers, but it won't recognize my multimedia keys.

Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Unable to grab media player keys: Could not get owner of name 'org.gnome.SettingsDaemon': no such name
    These are apparently handled by dbus, and other people have other problems with features that are dbus-only, so maybe that's related:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=395163
    "Please remember to do things the Ubuntu way. There is always more than one solution to a problem, choose the one you think will be the easiest for the user. ... Try to think as a green user and choose the simplest solution." — Code of Conduct

Beans

Re: Rhythmbox over ssh can't see multimedia keys

I know it's not an answer to your question, but mpd is designed to do what you want: control the music on a computer remotely.
    Disclaimer: I am currently suffering from severe CSD (Compulsive Sarcasm Disorder).
    My Site | Linux User #452328 | Running Arch Linux on Sony Vaio VGN-SZ61XN/C since October 2008

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Someone said dbus-launch is the key. Does anyone know how to use this? The manual is not very meaningful to me.
    "Please remember to do things the Ubuntu way. There is always more than one solution to a problem, choose the one you think will be the easiest for the user. ... Try to think as a green user and choose the simplest solution." — Code of Conduct

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

From dbus-launch manual:

There are two common reasons for autolaunch. One is ssh to a remote machine. The ideal fix for that would be forwarding of DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS in
    the same way that DISPLAY is forwarded. In the meantime, you can edit the session.conf config file to have your session bus listen on TCP, and manually
    set DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS, if you like.

The second common reason for autolaunch is an su to another user, and display of X applications running as the second user on the display belonging to
    the first user. Perhaps the ideal fix in this case would be to allow the second user to connect to the session bus of the first user, just as they can
    connect to the first user’s display. However, a mechanism for that has not been coded.

You can always avoid autolaunch by manually setting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS. Autolaunch happens because the default address if none is set is "auto‐
    launch:", so if any other address is set there will be no autolaunch. You can however include autolaunch in an explicit session bus address as a fall‐
    back, for example DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="something:,autolaunch:" - in that case if the first address doesn’t work, processes will autolaunch. (The bus
    address variable contains a comma-separated list of addresses to try.)
    So it looks like this is not implemented yet? But is it possible to forward all dbus things from my server to my laptop? Would that then show me errors and notifications that my server generated on my laptop's screen? That would be very useful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The command

Code:
    dbus-monitor "interface='org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.MediaKeys'"
    monitors the multimedia keys sent by d-bus:

Code:
    signal sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> dest=:1.50 path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus; member=NameAcquired
       string ":1.50"
    signal sender=:1.1 -> dest=(null destination) path=/org/gnome/SettingsDaemon/MediaKeys; interface=org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.MediaKeys; member=MediaPlayerKeyPressed
       string "Rhythmbox"
       string "Stop"
    signal sender=:1.1 -> dest=(null destination) path=/org/gnome/SettingsDaemon/MediaKeys; interface=org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.MediaKeys; member=MediaPlayerKeyPressed
       string "Rhythmbox"
       string "Play"
       string "Rhythmbox"
       string "Previous"
       string "Rhythmbox"
       string "Next"
    If I close the local Rhythmbox they apparently go nowhere:

Code:
    method call sender=:1.47 -> dest=:1.1 path=/org/gnome/SettingsDaemon/MediaKeys; interface=org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.MediaKeys; member=ReleaseMediaPlayerKeys
       string "Rhythmbox"
       string ""
       string "Next"
       string ""
       string "Previous"
       string ""
       string "Stop"
       string ""
       string "Play"
    If I open a remote Rhythmbox, nothing happens to this monitor, so they apparently aren't connecting. Remote Rhythmbox gives this error, which local Rhythmbox does not:

Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Unable to grab media player keys: Could not get owner of name 'org.gnome.SettingsDaemon': no such name
    Somehow I need to redirect the remote Rhythmbox to think that "org.gnome.SettingsDaemon" is on my local machine hostname? I'm in over my head.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

"D-Bus is an inter-process communication mechanism—a medium for local communication between processes running on the same host. (Inter-host connects may be added in the future, but that is not what D-Bus is meant for)."