Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How To: Disk Full? - Check Your Trash

Beans

Re: How To: Disk Full? - Check Your Trash

Thanks for creating and maintaining this resource.

I recently ended up with some files in root Trash that stubbornly would not be removed. They were placed there due to a stupid noob trick I managed using Clonezilla wherein I used root as a target for a backup (yeah, seemed like a good idea at the time ) This wasn't much more than annoying until I decided to move the system to a (small) SSD. Now that 20+GB was a big deal.

I followed all the instructions here but the root Trash just would not delete.

I finally found a link that suggested a tweak to the command line for nautilus:

Code:
    gksudo dbus-launch nautilus
    This allowed me to delete the offending files in Trash, never to be seen again.

I'd give attribution to where I found this tidbit, but I lost the URL in the flurry of searches and curses I was spewing at the time...

I don't pretend to truly understand why this worked in my circumstance, but maybe it would be helpful to others who've exhausted the other options.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

SATXan,

Thanks for sharing this and welcome to the Ubuntu Forums.

In recent versions of Ubuntu running Nautilus as root is sometimes problematic. Installing nautilus-gksu normally allows troublefree opening of folders as root by right clicking, but often users aren't aware of the nautilus-gksu package.

I'll add your command in the original post. Thanks for the contribution!
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

I am a new to linux and met the no space problem this eveing. Its very helpful for me to solve it!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by liangliming View Post
    I am a new to linux and met the no space problem this eveing. Its very helpful for me to solve it!
    I'm glad this old thread still has some value.

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums liangliming.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234