Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: i need an editor...

Beans

i need an editor...

i know this is flame war territory but i dont want one...yes i know the holy war is in the sticky

im still looking for an editor for linux...and ive heard alot about vim and emacs

this is what i want to know:

what are the main differences...ive looked at both websites and cant really tell the difference...both are supped up editors that you all seem to love one or the other...

i would love if i could get straight unbiased facts about each like which one is harder to learn which one supports more languages...i also couldnt find a list of vim supported languages...any answers here would be great

also if these were answered in the holy war post thats in the sticky im sorry because i didnt read the whole thing

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: i need an editor...

I actually use SciTE; which supports many languages and is cross platform.

Beans

thats another one im looking at but id like to here an unbiased comparison of vim and emacs

Beans
    Hidden!

I always wanted to know the difference also but was too afraid to ask.

Out of curiosity, is gedit anything like Vim or emacs?
    Another round of Ubuntu for my friends here!
    Fighting to bring Pink back to The Pink Ponies archive.
    DELETE INSANITY!

Beans

from what ive seen on the websites they are suped up gedits...i havent been able to see much more (other then the syntax highlighting and that you can play tetris on emacs)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

It is difficult to find a complete, educated and unbiased opinion because few people are proficient in both vim and emacs.
    There are many differences between them, but I suggest that you install both, do the tutorials that come with them, and see which of them fits better in your head. I did that and stuck with vim.
    The main difference that comes to mind is the way they handle keyboard bindings: emacs accomplishes this with sequential key combinations (ie, crtl key1 key2), and vim does so by having two editing modes (insert and edit), which allows to have really short (one key) keybindings.
    None of them have a low learning curve, but It's worth the time.
    If you are going to install vim, note that there is a vim-gnome package that comes with a nice native-looking gui.

Beans

are they in respetories?

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes! If Ubuntu didn't have them... geeks would kill them.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install vim
    sudo apt-get install emacs
    Another round of Ubuntu for my friends here!
    Fighting to bring Pink back to The Pink Ponies archive.
    DELETE INSANITY!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by brunovecchi View Post
    If you are going to install vim, note that there is a vim-gnome package that comes with a nice native-looking gui.
    were can i get this...the vim i installed runs in terminal

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jimi_hendrix View Post
    from what ive seen on the websites they are suped up gedits...i havent been able to see much more (other then the syntax highlighting and that you can play tetris on emacs)
    With such a post (vi and emacs = suped up Gedits) you'll be able to make peace between vi-ers an emacs-ers just to fight against you...

OK, being serious. My experience is with Gedit and Emacs.

1) Don't underestimate Gedit. It's a very nice text editor. Learn how to use it and you'll get some nice features: look at the plugins. It does have syntax highlighting (it's activated automatically when you save the file with the proper extension or manually through the View menu), smart tabs, parenthesis match, integrated shell...

2) Emacs is great... much more than a "suped up Gedit". It's strength relies on being absolutely customizable and programmable, because of it's Lisp interface. Check the Emacs Tutorial (C-h t) to learn how to use its most basic features.

The only truth is never use ed!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast