Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does mythbuntu work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

How does mythbuntu work?

I guess I'm not as up to date with technology as I thought I was. How does mythbuntu work? Would I be able to watch TV or even download TV shows to my computer? Is this a free service or is there a subscription fee? I'm sorry if I sound like a noob in all this.
    acrousey: Ubuntu user since 2008.

Compaq Presario 5127SR, Pentium 3 Processor, 512MB RAM, 40GB + 750GB Hard Drive, Integrated Graphics Card, Original OS: Windows ME, Current OS: Ubuntu 8.04

Beans

Re: How does mythbuntu work?

It is a media centre. You can watch and record tv, watch downloaded or DVD movies, plus a lot of other stuff.

http://mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythFeatures

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

One thing that I have been trying to figure out is if it is actually a free service or not. When I was looking around the MythTV website, I saw something about a subscription Schedules Direct. What would that have been about? Sorry if it sounds like I'm asking dumb questions, but sometimes it's better to get it out of the way right away than look stupid later on.

Compaq Presario 5127SR, Pentium 3 Processor, 512MB RAM, 40GB + 750GB Hard Drive, Integrated Graphics Card, Original OS: Windows ME, Current OS: Ubuntu 8.04

Beans

you are not getting how it actually works.

it does not download anything from internet. you need a tv capture card for it to work correctly. after that, it requires hours of config and tweaking to get it working correctly.

id recommend a dedicated computer for the task, it doesnt need a monitor since the backend runs as a daemon. then you can connect with the client through your regular computer / notebook. you will only need the capturing harware for the server/backend. clients / frontends stream the data through the server

hope i cleared some stuff up.

good luck

Beans

And yes it's free. The subscription service should be to download shows's information, so you can see what it's on right now, what's up next, what's up tomorrow, things like that. But you can do that for free.
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

@eldragon
    Quote Originally Posted by eldragon View Post

id recommend a dedicated computer for the task, it doesnt need a monitor since the backend runs as a daemon. then you can connect with the client through your regular computer / notebook. you will only need the capturing harware for the server/backend. clients / frontends stream the data through the server

hope i cleared some stuff up.

good luck
    And the dedicated machine would have Mythbuntu on it? Would I be able to stream it to another computer?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by acrousey View Post
    @eldragon

And the dedicated machine would have Mythbuntu on it? Would I be able to stream it to another computer?
    Yes, but you could also watch it in the computer that hosts the backend
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Alright, thanks guys. I don't think I'll be able to do it now or anytime soon, seeing as how I'm a poor college student, but I think it could be a fun project next summer setting up a computer for this.

Do you think an old Compaq Presario manufactured in or around 2000 would be able to support a TV card and/or a graphics/video card other than the integrated one?

Beans

If this is the machine, it will be borderline for SD material and definitely will not work for HD material. You don't actually say the speed of the processor, or the chipset of the video card, and these will make a big difference.

Specs of the machine are here by the look of it. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=93076&lang=en

Processor (1GHz) is probably enough for a basic SD machine if you are using a hardware video encoder like a PVR 150, but the specs still do not specify the video chipset.

lspci
    will give you the chipset of your video.
    Last edited by nickrout; August 25th, 2008 at 10:31 PM.

Beans

i was suggesting a standalone server for the backend since it must stay on in order to work as a personal video recorder. scheduling programs at insane hours, or during work time / class time. or even transcoding to a more compressed format during the nights.

1 computer alone should be enough to include the frontend / backend for mythtv. (the program behind mythbuntu). you will have to leave it on 24/7 if you wish to take full advantage of mythtv.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast