Thread: Can both xgl and nvidia X server be run at the same time?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Can both xgl and nvidia X server be run at the same time?

I've always used envy to download and install the drivers for my Nvidia GeForce4 MX graphics card. Whenever the Nvidia graphics driver is in use, I can't use compiz (desktop effects) at a resolution higher than 1024 x 768 pixels (that resolution is too low for my tastes) - if I do, I won't get any visual desktop effects (not even the effects on the top bar of windows - instead, the top bar is disappeared). Whenever I download and install 'xserver-xgl' from synaptic, I can use compiz at a resolution higher than 1024 x 768, but I have no screensaver when the computer is idle for the time it is set in the screensaver settings (10 minutes, that is) - instead, all I get is a black screen. Also when I have xgl installed, I am unable to access all the options in 'NVIDIA X Server Settings', including resolution, and I get an error message that has "You appear to be not running the NVIDIA X Server"; and I'm not able to change the resolution in System --> Preferences --> Screen Resolution.

I have re-installed Ubuntu and now I don't want to just install 'xserver-xgl' from synaptic. Is it possible to have 'NVIDIA X Server Settings', Screensavers, compiz and a resolution higher than 1024 x 768 work right at the same time (on a computer using the Nvidia GeForce4 MX graphics card)? If so, what is the solution? Thanks.
    Last edited by Animeniac; August 22nd, 2008 at 07:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can both xgl and nvidia X server be run at the same time?

Helloooo.......

I have tried the 'compiz --replace' command in Terminal, and I see all these errors:

Code:
    Checking for Xgl: not present. 
    Detected PCI ID for VGA: 01:00.0 0300: 10de:0185 (rev c1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present. 
    Checking for non power of two support: present. 
    Checking for Composite extension: present. 
    Comparing resolution (1280x1024) to maximum 3D texture size (2048): Passed.
    Checking for nVidia: present. 
    Checking for FBConfig: present. 
    Checking for Xgl: not present. 
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Warn: No GLXFBConfig for depth 32
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (wall) - Error: Couldn't create cairo context for switcher
    GConf backend: There is an unsupported value at path /apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge. Settings from this path won't be read. Try to remove that value so that operation can continue properly.
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (resizeinfo) - Warn: Bind Pixmap to Texture failure
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (resizeinfo) - Warn: Bind Pixmap to Texture failure