Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Midori Web Browser

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Midori Web Browser

I have tried to like midori but its far too lacking and way too buggy, my biggest issue is bookamrks.

No real bookmark management; even worse than chrome's [lack of] bookmark management. Import bookmarks doesnt work. period. It ONLY supports xbel which NO browsers use. I have used multiple methods to covert firefox's bookmarks to xbel but midori still wont import them (version in ubuntu repos says "malformed document", version from ppa just crashes)

Thumbs down for me, a lot of work before it becomes usable. I also get rendering issues in a lot of sites.

For me chrome is the best browser in linux (and I don't even like chrome that much, I definitely prefer opera 10.5 and firefox in windows but they both suck in linux IMO. Opera is incredibly ugly in gnome, and firefox is a slow pig compared to the windows version. It starts up at least twice as fast in windows for me and in gnome it takes up half the damn screen unless you hide the menubar and the bookmark toolbar)
    Last edited by screaminj3sus; May 23rd, 2010 at 04:00 PM.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

I am interested in using Midori for everyday use. (I would like to begin using FireFox for more sensitive things). This is the first time I have heard of Midori. How do you guys like it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

EDIT: Oops! Sorry for double post. Ignore this one. [It was an accident]
    Last edited by ubuntu27; July 28th, 2010 at 07:14 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

One aspect that I like about Midori is that I perceive it to be fast.

The down side for me is that when zooming the page, only the text (and not the images) zooms.

And I don't particularly care about bookmark management for the moment. I use that in Firefox.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu27 View Post

The down side for me is that when zooming the page, only the text (and not the images) zooms.

Preferences -> Behaviour -> Zoom text and images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sertse View Post
    Preferences -> Behaviour -> Zoom text and images
    Oh! Thank you Sertse. I never visited Midori's preference.

Now I can zoom the images alongside the text.
    Why is it not the default settings?

Well, now I will try to use Midri as default for a little while, and see how it works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Re: Midori Web Browser

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    Has anyone else used Midori Web Browser? It's a small lightweight browser and very fast. It is alpha, so still lots to do. With the update to 0.17, it is much more stable now than before. If you want to try it out, it is available in the universe repository.
    Its now July 2010, and Midori has moved on a long way. I'm now on 0.2.2, running on Lucid Xubuntu, on an old Pentium III desktop that needs all the performance optimization it can get. I just found Midori by accident the other day, played with it out of curiosity and fell in love with it at first sight. It's now blazingly fast, clean and well designed and lots of nice little features like speed dial and search engine dialogue. I still keep Firefox and Epiphany enabled just in case, but Midori is definitely now my browser of choice and you can use Netscape plugins.

One nice little tip in case anybody has the same problem. I also use Gmail, but Gmail doesnt recognize Midori, so it loads the basic html version that it uses for unrecognized browsers, and that is a very buggy experience (like it disables typing in some fields). You can get round this by telling Midori (in Edit/Preferences) to identify itself as Firefox and making sure that cookies and scripts are enabled. Gmail then obediently loads the full kit and caboodle.

Best little browser in town, in my view.

Beans

ZOMG!!! I've been using this browser for a week now and it is THE BEST. super fast, hasn't got all that junk like all the other browsers.

Just perfect. Set all the usual preferences I have (no menubar, open tabs without swithing focus to them...). If you type something in the address bar then you get the option to search google or wikipedia!! much more intuitive than chrome (in midori you just press down and enter when it pops up).

Anyone know how to configure the toolbar? I want to remove the new tab button on the left, and the show sidepanel, google search and trashbin on the right.

Beans

Really, WebKit is a great thing... Expect to see an explosion in features because the hard part of creating a browser (the html renderer) is done. Lots of browsers catering to everyone's different needs! that's the free software way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have had midori sitting on my computer for awhile now. I like to have a second, or even third browser in case one goes buggy and I have to debug it. (I learned this the hard way, when firefox decided to open more than fifty help tabs every time I started it ) I hadn't really used Midori until I saw this thread. It runs fast for me, with no bugs to speak off. I don't know that I will ditch firefox, but I might play with Midori some more.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast