Thread: How to: Move the MySQL data directory in *buntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post How to: Move the MySQL data directory in *buntu

I've been struggling with this for a while, and finally discovered the (frustratingly simple) solution to the problem of moving the default MySQL data directory. Since none of the many tutorials I found online mentioned it, I thought I'd share.

1. Open the terminal
    2. Stop MySQL with the command "sudo /etc/init.d/mysql stop".
    3. Copy the existing data directory (by default located in /var/lib/mysql) using the command "sudo cp -R -p /var/lib/mysql /path/to/new/datadir". All you need are the data files, so delete the others with the command "sudo rm /path/to/new/datadir". (You will get a message about not being able to delete some directories, but that's what you want.)
    4. Edit the MySQL configuration file with the command "gksu gedit /etc/mysql/my.cnf". Find the entry for "datadir", and change the path (which should be "/var/lib/mysql") to the new data directory.
    5. NOW FOR THE PART THE OTHER TUTORIALS DON'T MENTION... From 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) forward, Ubuntu uses some security software called AppArmor that specifies the areas of your filesystem applications are allowed to access. Unless you modify the AppArmor profile for MySQL, you'll never be able to restart MySQL with the new datadir location.
      • In the terminal, enter the command "sudo gedit /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysqld".
      • Copy the lines beginning with "/var/lib/mysql", comment out the originals with hash marks ("#"), and paste the lines below the originals.
      • Now change "/var/lib/mysql" in the two new lines with "/path/to/new/datadir". Save and close the file.
      • Reload the AppArmor profiles with the command "sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor reload".
    6. Restart MySQL with the command "sudo /etc/init.d/mysql restart". With any luck, MySQL will start with no errors, and your data will be stored in the new location!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Exclamation Re: How to: Move the MySQL data directory in *buntu

Great how-to mb_webguy. Thank you.

I have tried numerous other tutorials which all did not work. Your changing the AppArmor profile seems to be the key. However, I had to reboot my machine in order to get access to the new directory since without a reboot the old error message kept appearing.

Thanks again. You saved my day!
    Last edited by taecha; August 27th, 2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: a swift reboot sometimes changes everything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How to: Move the MySQL data directory in *buntu

Does the mysql user have full permissions on the datadir and all subdirectories?

Beans

This is amazing. I have been searching/chmodding/etc for hours, all because nobody else wrote about apparmor. Thank you so much.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: How to: Move the MySQL data directory in *buntu

Thank you, your article helped me to solve mysql relocation problem.

Beans

Thank you for this!

Just want to confirm this fixes on 11.10 also...I'm now fully restored and happily an ubuntu user again!

Thanks again

Beans

I am new to linux
    I have followed the same steps mentioned. But after restarting mysql service, when I login or want to connect database. It is showing me following error.

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

I am using Ubuntu 10.4 LTS - 64-bit. And Mysql database version is 5.1.41.
    Kindly help...